Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rokusaburo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I just set up my brand new Mac Pro today and everything's going great, except for AirPort. During setup (when you turn the machine on for the first time), it asked me for my preferred wireless network. I chose mine and entered my WEP password, but it rejected it. Now, in OSX, it either tells me that my password is incorrect (I've tried it on our PC and it works fine) or that "there was an error joining the airport network..."

I asked our neighbour if we could try it with his wireless network (I can detect it from our house), so he removed his password and I tried it. This time, AirPort seems to have connected to the network, but I still can't access the Internet and it displays a n"IP Configuration" error when connecting through 'Internet Connect'

Does anyone know if this is a problem with my modem, router, airport card or with OS X and does anyone have an suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I'm using a Motorola SurfBoard modem and Netgear WG311 g router.

grum

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
I had similar problems. Try:

putting a $ in front of your password
putting Ox in front of your password
change to a WPA Password
change to a different channel - problem could be to do with network interference

I am no network expert but this is what i found by searching - changing to a WPA password seems to have done the trick for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.