Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Seems like an odd question, but I'm about to buy a nano, and I have one of the older ones, and it works fine in my iPod mini dock. Quite simply I think the docks are horribly overpriced, so I'd like to continue using my mini dock. But with the altered connector placement of the second generation nano I'm not sure if this is possible.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Seems like an odd question, but I'm about to buy a nano, and I have one of the older ones, and it works fine in my iPod mini dock. Quite simply I think the docks are horribly overpriced, so I'd like to continue using my mini dock. But with the altered connector placement of the second generation nano I'm not sure if this is possible.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

It should fit, can't be 100% sure but I reckon it'd fit.

You could just bite bullet and grab a Universal Dock which will work with all the iPods.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
It should fit, can't be 100% sure but I reckon it'd fit.

You could just bite bullet and grab a Universal Dock which will work with all the iPods.

I'm sixteen and I've got limited spending money and I need to buy a case as well as new headphones along with the iPod, so I'm not sure if I can dish out cash for a dock and still have money left over (which I do need)...

Can anyone confirm that the 2nd gen iPod nanos will work in mini docks? If not I might just wait a while before I get it.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
No, but I can conform that the 1st gen nano's fit in a 3rd gen iPod dock. Since the 2nd gen nano is almost identical, I would assume it can fit in a 3rd gen dock too. Taking this one step furher, since the mini's base is so much wider on both sides, I would think that the nano, even with it's ofset connector, could fit.

But you don't have to take my word for it, bring your dock down to a local apple store and try it out for yourself:rolleyes:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah the 1G nanos fit fine in a mini dock (well, Universal Dock insert for an iPod mini).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.