Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treach1976

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Quick question for any of those electronically skilled types out there...

I only want to plug in my earphones into one side (my left). This is very inconvenient with earphones because if I do this, I'm not sure what to do with the cord for the right side. For now I've taped the right earpiece back to the main cord - but this just makes the cord excessively bulky and heavy. My question is this, if I get out my scissors and cut the right earpiece off will my left speaker still work? Or is the circuitry going to fail because of some type of looped system? (I know very little about electronics).

One might ask why I would want to deface them like this, but the fact is, I don't hear out of my right ear, and because of a slight deformity on my right ear, cannot even hold the speakers there.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I don't think it should cause a problem for the left speaker if you were to cut the right one off. I accidentally smashed my right earphone in a car door one time (so you probably could say it was cut) and the left one still worked fine.

One thing I suggest though is to rip your CDs in mono (as opposed to it automatically being stereo), so that music made to come out of the right speaker comes out the left. :)

treach1976

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Thanks for the advice -

Great idea about the mono ripping also... I hadn't thought about that!

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I did this with some a crappy old pair of non-apple headphones and it worked fine. Can't guarantee the same with the apple ones, but I can't see why it wouldn't work... the left and right channel travel on two entirely independent cables that are joined at the plug.

Just out of curiosity, why are you trying to do this? Do you work in a lab?

treach1976

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007

Nope,

I simply am not physically able to wear my earphones on both ears... (right side won't stay in). And its simply annoying to have it hanging around :)

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
panoz7 said:

treach1976 said:
One might ask why I would want to deface them like this, but the fact is, I don't hear out of my right ear, and because of a slight deformity on my right ear, cannot even hold the speakers there.

;)

treach1976

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
fyi - Held my breath and snipped it - they still work just fine...

Thanks guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.