Why i will not buy Apple TV - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:18 AM   #1
^squirrel^
macrumors 6502a
 
^squirrel^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England
Why i will not buy Apple TV

I dont want to cause a war, just wanted to express my view on why i will not buy Apple TV anytime soon.

I live in the UK and right now there is no date for being able to download TV or Movies through iTunes. No big deal as im sure they have something in place by summer time.

The main thing that really makes my blood boil is the fact i have to use my Mac to download all the content. Why can't i just use Apple TV to download music, TV and Movies and then it transfers the data to iTunes on my Mac? Windows media center does it! Xbox 360 does it! why can't Apple TV do it?

I don't want to have to go down the Windows Media Center route, but Vista Media Center does look good and it does everything a Media Center should do!

I would love for someone to tell me that Apple TV will do these things in the future, but i'm not holding much hope for it!

Thanks all for your time

Darren
^squirrel^ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:32 AM   #2
FleurDuMal
macrumors 68000
 
FleurDuMal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: London Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^squirrel^ View Post
I dont want to cause a war, just wanted to express my view on why i will not buy Apple TV anytime soon.

I live in the UK and right now there is no date for being able to download TV or Movies through iTunes. No big deal as im sure they have something in place by summer time.

The main thing that really makes my blood boil is the fact i have to use my Mac to download all the content. Why can't i just use Apple TV to download music, TV and Movies and then it transfers the data to iTunes on my Mac? Windows media center does it! Xbox 360 does it! why can't Apple TV do it?

I don't want to have to go down the Windows Media Center route, but Vista Media Center does look good and it does everything a Media Center should do!

I would love for someone to tell me that Apple TV will do these things in the future, but i'm not holding much hope for it!

Thanks all for your time

Darren
I've more or less ignored the TV as I pretty much live in one room, so I just use my 24" monitor as my TV. But yes, the TV is pointless for most people until they have movie and TV downloads in the UK - and, imo, pointless until they improve the quality of the downloads (I imagine an iTunes download l looks pretty awful on a large TV screen).

However, I have a feeling that the ability to download from iTunes might be added into a later firmware update.
__________________
MB / 2Ghz CD / 2GB RAM / 250GB HD
Nano / 8GB
D70s / 18-200mm VR (currently brokened)
Fujifilm F31fd (it's love)
My flickr
FleurDuMal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Passante
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: on the sofa
I don't get your point. TV is not a full computer. Its an internet compliant device that acts as an interface between content on your Mac and your TV.

Unless you use a Mac mini and its next to your TV you have to go through the hassle of connecting your computer to the TV to watch the media you've downloaded or recorded. Thats a trivial to awkward process with a laptop. Or a pain in the backside if you have a 24 inch iMac or a Mac Pro and its the same problem with windows media center. The alternative would be to buy a Mac mini and use it to stream content from other Macs in the house. But that costs $600 without a keyboard!

I was not very keen on TV at first. But now that I use my upstairs G4 tower as a tivo (using eyeTV) I see the utility of TV and look forward to getting one.
__________________
Never switched
Passante is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:39 AM   #4
adrianblaine
macrumors 65816
 
adrianblaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pasadena, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^squirrel^ View Post
I dont want to cause a war, just wanted to express my view on why i will not buy Apple TV anytime soon.

The main thing that really makes my blood boil is the fact i have to use my Mac to download all the content. Why can't i just use Apple TV to download music, TV and Movies and then it transfers the data to iTunes on my Mac? Windows media center does it! Xbox 360 does it! why can't Apple TV do it?

I would love for someone to tell me that Apple TV will do these things in the future, but i'm not holding much hope for it!
Are people that passionate about TV to cause a war against you? I live in the US and have quite a bit of content on my computer (music and tv shows, not movies), but I'm not rushing out to buy one any time soon. I'm waiting for a lot of the same things you are. I will not buy one until I can sit on my couch with the Apple remote and be able to somehow search and rent a movie, and never have to go to my computer. When that happens, I'll think about getting one.
adrianblaine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:44 AM   #5
Markleshark
macrumors 601
 
Markleshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Carlisle, Up Norf!
Send a message via AIM to Markleshark
It's getting less and less attractive the more I look at it.

It only works with some HDTVs? Whats with that?

Also, the UK argument stands for me as well. Oh Well.
__________________
Lubo, Lubo, Lubo, Lubo!!
Markleshark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:45 AM   #6
^squirrel^
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
^squirrel^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England
I just think it would be nice to be able to purchase Music/Movies/TV through it's front row like interface and then that downloads to you mac. It doesn't have to be iTunes on the Apple TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passante View Post
I don't get your point. TV is not a full computer. Its an internet compliant device that acts as an interface between content on your Mac and your TV.
^squirrel^ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:51 AM   #7
biturbomunkie
macrumors 6502a
 
biturbomunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: California Republic
ummmm... appleTV is a device to stream video contents wirelessly to your TV from your computer. you'd still need a device like appleTV to stream videos wirelessly from a Media Center peecee.

with that said; however, i wasn't too excited about appleTV either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ^squirrel^ View Post
Why can't i just use Apple TV to download music, TV and Movies and then it transfers the data to iTunes on my Mac? Windows media center does it! Xbox 360 does it! why can't Apple TV do it?

I don't want to have to go down the Windows Media Center route, but Vista Media Center does look good and it does everything a Media Center should do!

I would love for someone to tell me that Apple TV will do these things in the future, but i'm not holding much hope for it!

Thanks all for your time

Darren
__________________
scientia vincere tenebras
g4 cube 500mhz 1.5gb ram | mbp c2d 2.16ghz 2gb ram | black nano+akg k81 | orange shuffle+jvc marshmallow
biturbomunkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:57 AM   #8
adrianblaine
macrumors 65816
 
adrianblaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pasadena, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiTurboMunkie View Post
ummmm... appleTV is a device to stream video contents wirelessly to your TV from your computer. you'd still need a device like appleTV to stream videos wirelessly from a Media Center peecee.

with that said; however, i'm wasn't too excited about appleTV either.
There's no reason why it couldn't do more than that. I refuse to pay that much money for streaming/storage device. Apple will continue to make things easier and more appealing, so you will be able to buy and download stuff from your couch eventually, I was just hoping that Apple would do it right from the beginning.
adrianblaine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:59 AM   #9
^squirrel^
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
^squirrel^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England
Not if you have an Xbox 360 or Media PC connected to your tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiTurboMunkie View Post
ummmm... appleTV is a device to stream video contents wirelessly to your TV from your computer. you'd still need a device like appleTV to stream videos wirelessly from a Media Center peecee.

with that said; however, i wasn't too excited about appleTV either.
^squirrel^ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:07 AM   #10
biturbomunkie
macrumors 6502a
 
biturbomunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: California Republic
ummmm... a device could well be an xbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiTurboMunkie View Post
ummmm... appleTV is a device to stream video contents wirelessly to your TV from your computer. you'd still need a device like appleTV to stream videos wirelessly from a Media Center peecee.

with that said; however, i wasn't too excited about appleTV either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^squirrel^ View Post
Not if you have an Xbox 360 or Media PC connected to your tv.
__________________
scientia vincere tenebras
g4 cube 500mhz 1.5gb ram | mbp c2d 2.16ghz 2gb ram | black nano+akg k81 | orange shuffle+jvc marshmallow
biturbomunkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:18 AM   #11
biturbomunkie
macrumors 6502a
 
biturbomunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: California Republic
well, all the things that you mentioned can be done with or w/o the appleTV. my broke-ass student setup: MBP, a personal file server, 27" LCD TV, apple wireless KB/mouse and salling clicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianblaine View Post
There's no reason why it couldn't do more than that. I refuse to pay that much money for streaming/storage device. Apple will continue to make things easier and more appealing, so you will be able to buy and download stuff from your couch eventually, I was just hoping that Apple would do it right from the beginning.
__________________
scientia vincere tenebras
g4 cube 500mhz 1.5gb ram | mbp c2d 2.16ghz 2gb ram | black nano+akg k81 | orange shuffle+jvc marshmallow
biturbomunkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:18 AM   #12
^squirrel^
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
^squirrel^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiTurboMunkie View Post
ummmm... a device could well be an xbox.
yes, so my point is, what does apple tv give you that Xbox doesn't?
^squirrel^ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:27 AM   #13
biturbomunkie
macrumors 6502a
 
biturbomunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: California Republic
agreed. one of the reasons that i wasn't excited when i heard about appleTV.

in any case, appleTV is a solution for the mac platform, made by apple. not sure if the xbox would work on mac. perhaps i should borrow my ex's xbox and find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^squirrel^ View Post
yes, so my point is, what does apple tv give you that Xbox doesn't?
__________________
scientia vincere tenebras
g4 cube 500mhz 1.5gb ram | mbp c2d 2.16ghz 2gb ram | black nano+akg k81 | orange shuffle+jvc marshmallow
biturbomunkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:25 AM   #14
davede70
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^squirrel^ View Post
yes, so my point is, what does apple tv give you that Xbox doesn't?
OSX.

I'm not 100% sold on AppleTV and it's pointless until I can rip my personal dvds into my apple with 5.1 sound. But there is no way I am ever going back to windows. My step dad and I bought the same printer. I put it on my apple by plugging it in, it took 1 second. I installed it on his pc by plugging it in, inserting the install disc, running through three seperate installation aspects and clicking on about 10-15 pop ups to get through it. (And of course a restart) It took about 10 minutes to install it. It also tricked me into installing some photo program that he didn't need.
davede70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:46 AM   #15
Grimace
macrumors 68040
 
Grimace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: with Hamburglar.
If you could stream all audio/video, not just stuff you have in iTunes, then I'd be onboard. Of course, you could rip everything you have into iTunes, but for DVDs, that's a pain.
__________________
Canon 1DX Canon 5D MkIII
24-70mm f/2.8L II 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
50mm f/1.2L 85mm f/1.2L II 300mm f/2.8L IS
Grimace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:59 AM   #16
Passante
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: on the sofa
what does apple tv give you that Xbox doesn't

I don't have an X-box but I venture to guess that:

It won't stream movies, TV shows or music with DRM from iTunes

And it probably won't stream movies, TV shows or music that do not have DRM from iTunes

Also can the Xbox download content or just stream. It makes a big difference cause fast forwarding sucks when streaming on a b/g wireless network.
__________________
Never switched
Passante is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:38 AM   #17
^squirrel^
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
^squirrel^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiTurboMunkie View Post
in any case, appleTV is a solution for the mac platform, made by apple. not sure if the xbox would work on mac. perhaps i should borrow my ex's xbox and find out.
Mac and Xbox 360 work, you need connect 360 for the mac! I have it running.
^squirrel^ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:39 AM   #18
^squirrel^
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
^squirrel^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passante View Post
I don't have an X-box but I venture to guess that:

It won't stream movies, TV shows or music with DRM from iTunes

And it probably won't stream movies, TV shows or music that do not have DRM from iTunes

Also can the Xbox download content or just stream. It makes a big difference cause fast forwarding sucks when streaming on a b/g wireless network.
Yes you can download movies through xbox 360.
^squirrel^ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:57 AM   #19
SMM
macrumors 65816
 
SMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tiger Mountain - WA State
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^squirrel^ View Post
I dont want to cause a war, just wanted to express my view on why i will not buy Apple TV anytime soon.

I live in the UK and right now there is no date for being able to download TV or Movies through iTunes. No big deal as im sure they have something in place by summer time.

The main thing that really makes my blood boil is the fact i have to use my Mac to download all the content. Why can't i just use Apple TV to download music, TV and Movies and then it transfers the data to iTunes on my Mac? Windows media center does it! Xbox 360 does it! why can't Apple TV do it?

I don't want to have to go down the Windows Media Center route, but Vista Media Center does look good and it does everything a Media Center should do!

I would love for someone to tell me that Apple TV will do these things in the future, but i'm not holding much hope for it!

Thanks all for your time

Darren

Thank you Bill
__________________
Eagles may soar in the clouds, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines. - Jason Hutchison and John Benfield
SMM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:57 AM   #20
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601
 
mrgreen4242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
I'll agree that I'm not excited about the TV either, but not for exactly the same reasons. One, I'm in the US, so I can D/L content from iTMS. But, I'm not a fan of their sales model. Songs I can see the desire to own, you'll likely listen to it 50-100 times in a couple years, so it makes sense to own it. Movies, I can see wanting to own; $10-15 and you'll have it on hand to watch a few times whenever you want. There's some value there. TV shows, though, are just generally not something I want to own. Ya, there's a couple shows that I like to have on hand to rewatch, but even those the rewatching, per episode, is pretty small number. And if I do want to buy those I buy them in a DVD set where I am getting not only the shows but some extra material - deleted scenes, commentaries, interviews, etc etc.

Point is they are treating TV shows like songs and that model isn't very appealing. There's a reason that video stores stay in business, and Netflix is doing so well: people don't want to own movies. They are more than content to rent them. TV shows are an extension of that, for the most part.

If Apple offered all you eat "rentals" of TV shows, something similar to how places like Napster/Rhapsody rent music (you can listen to any song in their catalog as long as you are a member) the Apple TV might be something worth considering. As it is, well, I can spend about the same amount of money and get an iPod, video cables for it, a nice multiformat DVD player, and a few big boxes of DVD-RWs and do, more or less, all the things the Apple TV does, albeit not quite as conveniently. (Play non-DRM'd files in EDTV resolutions with a DiVX DVD player, play Apple DRM files on the TV via the iPod, etc etc).

The moment Netflix launches a set top box to go with their new video on demand feature, and grows that library of content a bit, the TV is over.
__________________
Mac Pro 4,1, 8x2.26ghz, 10gb, 128gb SSD, 2x750gb (RAID1), 2tb, ATI6750
iPad air 64gb wifi - 16gb iPhone 5s - AppleTV3
mrgreen4242 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 09:22 AM   #21
^squirrel^
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
^squirrel^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England
Yes that would be a nice idea to rent movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreen4242 View Post
I'll agree that I'm not excited about the TV either, but not for exactly the same reasons. One, I'm in the US, so I can D/L content from iTMS. But, I'm not a fan of their sales model. Songs I can see the desire to own, you'll likely listen to it 50-100 times in a couple years, so it makes sense to own it. Movies, I can see wanting to own; $10-15 and you'll have it on hand to watch a few times whenever you want. There's some value there. TV shows, though, are just generally not something I want to own. Ya, there's a couple shows that I like to have on hand to rewatch, but even those the rewatching, per episode, is pretty small number. And if I do want to buy those I buy them in a DVD set where I am getting not only the shows but some extra material - deleted scenes, commentaries, interviews, etc etc.

Point is they are treating TV shows like songs and that model isn't very appealing. There's a reason that video stores stay in business, and Netflix is doing so well: people don't want to own movies. They are more than content to rent them. TV shows are an extension of that, for the most part.

If Apple offered all you eat "rentals" of TV shows, something similar to how places like Napster/Rhapsody rent music (you can listen to any song in their catalog as long as you are a member) the Apple TV might be something worth considering. As it is, well, I can spend about the same amount of money and get an iPod, video cables for it, a nice multiformat DVD player, and a few big boxes of DVD-RWs and do, more or less, all the things the Apple TV does, albeit not quite as conveniently. (Play non-DRM'd files in EDTV resolutions with a DiVX DVD player, play Apple DRM files on the TV via the iPod, etc etc).

The moment Netflix launches a set top box to go with their new video on demand feature, and grows that library of content a bit, the TV is over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMM View Post
Thank you Bill
lol,

I think this thread is best closed. I dont want to get a bad name on this forum for causing trouble. I've seen how some threads turn out. Admin please can you close this thread now.

Thanks

D
^squirrel^ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 09:46 AM   #22
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603
 
MacBoobsPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurDuMal View Post
(I imagine an iTunes download l looks pretty awful on a large TV screen).
Actually they are just as good if not better than a DVD on my 42" HDTV. I was quite surprised actually.

I know technically they are not DVD quality but you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

That being said i think HD downloads would be a great additin.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:05 AM   #23
petvas
macrumors 68040
 
petvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Send a message via AIM to petvas Send a message via MSN to petvas
The Apple TV is for me a step backwards. It offers inferior quality in lower resolution in comparison to a DVD, doesn't have Dolby Digital and DTS.

If it included at least a DVD player then I would be keen to buy it. The integration with iTunes makes sense, since that way you have one place to manage all your media, especially if you also have an iPod. iTunes gives also the much needed Windows Compatibility...

At first I was excited about it and placed a preorder which I later cancelled. I started ripping my DVDs and compared the ripped mp4 (H.264) to the original. I just couldn't accept the quality drop, so I cancelled my order...
__________________
iMac 27" (Late 2013 - 3,2Ghz i5 CPU, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD); Retina Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2013, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iPad Air Cellular 64GB white/silver; iPhone 5S 32GB Grey;
petvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:29 AM   #24
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601
 
mrgreen4242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacboobsPro View Post
Actually they are just as good if not better than a DVD on my 42" HDTV. I was quite surprised actually.

I know technically they are not DVD quality but you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

That being said i think HD downloads would be a great additin.
I download a lot of TV shows from the internet and watch them on my DIVX compatible DVD player. The resolutions are close to, but not, DVD size (usually 702x386 or so). Other than a few stray macroblocks, etc (which DVDs are susceptible to as well, they just pay people fairly well to make sure there aren't any or at least very few) they look just as good. I think the reason for this is the color accuracy. DVDs are encoded with NTSC in mind, MPEG4/DiVX/h264 files are not. NTSC is famous for it's horrible color, to the point that it is jokingly called Never The Same Color. High quality, vivid colors go a long, long way to making a picture look good, more so than going, say, 480p to 720p in my opinion.
__________________
Mac Pro 4,1, 8x2.26ghz, 10gb, 128gb SSD, 2x750gb (RAID1), 2tb, ATI6750
iPad air 64gb wifi - 16gb iPhone 5s - AppleTV3
mrgreen4242 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:52 AM   #25
petvas
macrumors 68040
 
petvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Send a message via AIM to petvas Send a message via MSN to petvas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreen4242 View Post
I download a lot of TV shows from the internet and watch them on my DIVX compatible DVD player. The resolutions are close to, but not, DVD size (usually 702x386 or so). Other than a few stray macroblocks, etc (which DVDs are susceptible to as well, they just pay people fairly well to make sure there aren't any or at least very few) they look just as good. I think the reason for this is the color accuracy. DVDs are encoded with NTSC in mind, MPEG4/DiVX/h264 files are not. NTSC is famous for it's horrible color, to the point that it is jokingly called Never The Same Color. High quality, vivid colors go a long, long way to making a picture look good, more so than going, say, 480p to 720p in my opinion.
PAL has no such problem...
__________________
iMac 27" (Late 2013 - 3,2Ghz i5 CPU, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD); Retina Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2013, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iPad Air Cellular 64GB white/silver; iPhone 5S 32GB Grey;
petvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone here buy gift cards cheaper to buy apple products? Reminisce32 Buying Tips and Advice 5 Oct 28, 2013 05:56 AM
Apple Thunderbolt Display - Buy or don't buy? Veriac Buying Tips and Advice 30 Feb 17, 2013 02:49 PM
Should I buy Macbook Pro at Best Buy or Apple Store? traehekat Buying Tips and Advice 3 Sep 4, 2012 09:56 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC