Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Feb 10, 2007, 06:55 AM   #1
martinf
macrumors newbie

Mini upgrade

I read something somewhere that the fan is different for Core Solo than Core Duo. Is there any truth to that? I don't remember where and when I read it but it stuck in my head and I wanna know before I do anything.

Core Solo with 512 MB is not exactly a monster and I kind of have time to fall asleep sometimes while running a few apps. So I figured a Core Duo and 2 GB RAM would speed things up a bit.
martinf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:49 AM   #2
JAT
macrumors 603

Just the RAM will help immensely. If you are considering upgrading it yourself, start with RAM. And don't bother with the CPU til you see how the RAM helps.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Mohinder
macrumors newbie

My 1.83 Core Duo mini is a different machine since I upped it to 2gb of RAM. Seriously, it's leagues ahead of what it was, it was borderline painful before, and it's a little beast now

Do the RAM first, imo.
Mohinder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Nukemkb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohinder View Post
My 1.83 Core Duo mini is a different machine since I upped it to 2gb of RAM. Seriously, it's leagues ahead of what it was, it was borderline painful before, and it's a little beast now

Do the RAM first, imo.
cool!
Old Feb 12, 2007, 08:56 AM   #5
martinf
macrumors newbie

Thanks people!

I'll live with the current CPU and just get RAM.
martinf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:06 AM   #6
timswim78
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf View Post
Thanks people!

I'll live with the current CPU and just get RAM.
Well, the RAM is a must. 512MB is horribly low for OS X to run well.

I wouldn't rule out a CPU upgrade. You'll notice a big difference with certain apps when you move to a core duo. Just look at these comparisons:
http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/firs...arks/index.php
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:41 PM   #7
Mohinder
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Ditty View Post
I bought a stock 1.66 mini in november. I dropped 2GB Ram in there. It's a beast.

I would definitely up the Ram. It's not hard to do, unless you're technologically challenged. 1) Pop the top 2) take the 4 screws holding the CD/HD assembly out 3) gently take the assembly and fold it away from you. 4) Take out old RAM and slap in the new stuff 5) Reverse of steps 1-3.
I forgot to plug the fan control header back in on mine... started it up without the top, thought 'hmm, that's loud, I didn't realise how much the lid kept the noise in...'

Put the top on, started it again, then realised. D'oh! I wouldn't have minded if it wasn't such a pain in the bum to open the thing
Old Feb 19, 2007, 08:56 AM   #8
Teh Don Ditty
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohinder View Post
I forgot to plug the fan control header back in on mine... started it up without the top, thought 'hmm, that's loud, I didn't realise how much the lid kept the noise in...'

Put the top on, started it again, then realised. D'oh! I wouldn't have minded if it wasn't such a pain in the bum to open the thing
It's always the little (and most important things) things that are forgotten. Once you first pop the first few clips (I used a thin putty knife) it's not that bad. Other than that, how's the RAM working out for you?
Old Feb 19, 2007, 03:35 PM   #9
Mohinder
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Ditty View Post
It's always the little (and most important things) things that are forgotten. Once you first pop the first few clips (I used a thin putty knife) it's not that bad. Other than that, how's the RAM working out for you?
2gb is great. It was pretty horrid with half a gig. It's fantastic now, does everything I want it to no sweat. I'm hugely impressed with the Mini in general, it's much more powerful than I expected out of such a tiny machine. I know the specs are there, it's just... hard to believe on paper. Great little machine.

As far as opening it, it's a piece of cake yeah, I just hate the noise! It sounds like it's breaking, you just have to have a bit of faith
Old Feb 19, 2007, 03:55 PM   #10
fivetoadsloth
macrumors 65816

Yes, efinatly upgrade the ram to at leat 1 gig, preferablly 2.
fivetoadsloth is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini