Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
I read something somewhere that the fan is different for Core Solo than Core Duo. Is there any truth to that? I don't remember where and when I read it but it stuck in my head and I wanna know before I do anything.

Core Solo with 512 MB is not exactly a monster and I kind of have time to fall asleep sometimes while running a few apps. So I figured a Core Duo and 2 GB RAM would speed things up a bit.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Just the RAM will help immensely. If you are considering upgrading it yourself, start with RAM. And don't bother with the CPU til you see how the RAM helps.

Mohinder

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2007
My 1.83 Core Duo mini is a different machine since I upped it to 2gb of RAM. Seriously, it's leagues ahead of what it was, it was borderline painful before, and it's a little beast now :)

Do the RAM first, imo.

Mohinder

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2007
I bought a stock 1.66 mini in november. I dropped 2GB Ram in there. It's a beast.

I would definitely up the Ram. It's not hard to do, unless you're technologically challenged. 1) Pop the top 2) take the 4 screws holding the CD/HD assembly out 3) gently take the assembly and fold it away from you. 4) Take out old RAM and slap in the new stuff 5) Reverse of steps 1-3. :D

I forgot to plug the fan control header back in on mine... started it up without the top, thought 'hmm, that's loud, I didn't realise how much the lid kept the noise in...'

Put the top on, started it again, then realised. D'oh! I wouldn't have minded if it wasn't such a pain in the bum to open the thing :D

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
I forgot to plug the fan control header back in on mine... started it up without the top, thought 'hmm, that's loud, I didn't realise how much the lid kept the noise in...'

Put the top on, started it again, then realised. D'oh! I wouldn't have minded if it wasn't such a pain in the bum to open the thing :D

It's always the little (and most important things) things that are forgotten. Once you first pop the first few clips (I used a thin putty knife) it's not that bad. Other than that, how's the RAM working out for you?

Mohinder

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2007
It's always the little (and most important things) things that are forgotten. Once you first pop the first few clips (I used a thin putty knife) it's not that bad. Other than that, how's the RAM working out for you?

2gb is great. It was pretty horrid with half a gig. It's fantastic now, does everything I want it to no sweat. I'm hugely impressed with the Mini in general, it's much more powerful than I expected out of such a tiny machine. I know the specs are there, it's just... hard to believe on paper. Great little machine.

As far as opening it, it's a piece of cake yeah, I just hate the noise! It sounds like it's breaking, you just have to have a bit of faith :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.