Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Feb 10, 2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Dannymonky
macrumors member

How does Apple TV make what i have better?

I've got a MBP 2.33 2g 120HD. I've got an 500g external HD w/ music and movies and photos and ripped DVD's.Its connected by firewire or USB2(soon to be Airport xtreme w/ Airdisk thingy). I've got a DVI to HDMI cable connected to 46in 1080P LCD Tv. I've got Apple remote and wirless BT keyboard and mouse. All in living room. Laptop RARELY leaves lowest shelf on wall unit.Nice clean somewhat clutterless setup.Also plan for EyeTV thingy in future. Why do i need Apple TV? Please explain your thoughts. Maybe i missed something.....
Dannymonky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 03:14 PM   #2
monke
macrumors 65816

What about every one with an iMac, Mac Mini, or Mac Pro, who can't just pick up their computer and move it into the living room.

Why you personally would need the Apple TV, I don't know. There are people out there that don't have everything already connected, and would love to have a 'media' area and a 'work' area.

Someone else on this board (forget who) made the perfect reply to someone asking "Why do I need the TV?". They said something back, around the lines of "Because when I come home from work, I would rather sit down on my nice leather couch and listen to music/watch photo's/watch movies, rather than sitting in the office chair that I've been sitting in all day."
Old Feb 10, 2007, 03:18 PM   #3
jsw
Moderator emeritus

I can't think of any reason you'd need/want one, really, except that you could leave it connected.

Honestly, I'm not sure how a mini (or MBP like yours) doesn't do everything an Apple TV does, and more, but... the niceness of the Apple TV includes HDMI, smaller volume (somewhat), 802.11n, and the ability to consolidate various libraries is a plus for many.

I think people will either love the Apple TV or have no use for it whatsoever.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Dannymonky
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monke View Post
What about every one with an iMac, Mac Mini, or Mac Pro, who can't just pick up their computer and move it into the living room.

Why you personally would need the Apple TV, I don't know. There are people out there that don't have everything already connected, and would love to have a 'media' area and a 'work' area.

Someone else on this board (forget who) made the perfect reply to someone asking "Why do I need the TV?". They said something back, around the lines of "Because when I come home from work, I would rather sit down on my nice leather couch and listen to music/watch photo's/watch movies, rather than sitting in the office chair that I've been sitting in all day."
Granted i did not think of owners of desktop systems when i started thread. For them its definately an advantage.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 03:58 PM   #5
millar876
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to millar876 Send a message via Skype™ to millar876
I dont realy need one either. I don't have a Hi-Def TV (42" Rear projection toshiba 100Hz Progressive 1024x768) and i have the iPod av connection kit plugged in to my tv, so all i do is make a video playlist, usually of the weeks new heroes, smallville and SG-Atlantis, dump it on my pod, dump the pod in the dock, switch tv to AV5 and watch away using the remote from my imac if i nreed to pause or skip
iPhone 4S 16GB
millar876 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 04:01 PM   #6
Dannymonky
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millar876 View Post
I dont realy need one either. I don't have a Hi-Def TV (42" Rear projection toshiba 100Hz Progressive 1024x768) and i have the iPod av connection kit plugged in to my tv, so all i do is make a video playlist, usually of the weeks new heroes, smallville and SG-Atlantis, dump it on my pod, dump the pod in the dock, switch tv to AV5 and watch away using the remote from my imac if i nreed to pause or skip

Maybe some imac users dont need it either... Im not downing Apple TV at all it just seems like 30$ in cables is a better deal than 300$ DEPENDING on the user and his/her machine.Otherwise im a fanboi....
Old Feb 10, 2007, 04:04 PM   #7
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

I think you have to look at the flip side, too, though. You have a very expensive laptop tied down in an entertainment center... that's not exactly an economical use of a MacBook Pro. Given that you're doing that, and happy with it, at this point, there's little reason to go for an Apple TV. But the average person who owns an MBP probably is not willing to dedicate it to a shelf on their entertainment center.

FWIW...don't get me wrong, I have my iMac cabled to my LCD television, and I'm quite happy with that. I don't feel the need to get an Apple TV either.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 04:10 PM   #8
Dannymonky
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
I think you have to look at the flip side, too, though. You have a very expensive laptop tied down in an entertainment center... that's not exactly an economical use of a MacBook Pro. Given that you're doing that, and happy with it, at this point, there's little reason to go for an Apple TV. But the average person who owns an MBP probably is not willing to dedicate it to a shelf on their entertainment center.

FWIW...don't get me wrong, I have my iMac cabled to my LCD television, and I'm quite happy with that. I don't feel the need to get an Apple TV either.
It goes as far as into the courtyard to enjoy a sunny day and a beer w/ me or when i travel its always by my side. Otherwise i use the 46 in screen which i cant tilt a few degrees and view clearly from said courtyard and with wireless speakers i dont miss much.Web browsing/mail/ IM or graphic design is great when not behind a desk. Im in heaven....But as noted people w/ Desktops could use this ALOT and make life simpler or at least easier.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 04:43 PM   #9
gkarris
macrumors 604

Because it's "Apple", silly...
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:14 PM   #10
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by monke View Post
"Why do I need the TV?". They said something back, around the lines of "Because when I come home from work, I would rather sit down on my nice leather couch and listen to music/watch photo's/watch movies, rather than sitting in the office chair that I've been sitting in all day."
That's exactly why.

I didn't get it either until just yesterday when I was at my wife's Aunt and Uncle's house. Her Uncle has a true Windows Media Center unit, the one that looks like a stereo component, hooked up to his living room system. He turned it on, accessed media center with one click on the remote and started searching through his extensive audio library. It was brilliant.

I mean, I have my PowerBook wirelessly hooked up to my entertainment center through an airport express but the ease of use of an Apple TV would definitely sell me now. Coming home and picking up a remote and hitting play while I jump in the shower blows away having to open my powerbook, possibly start iTunes and search for a song on a small screen and use a keyboard and trackpad (or mouse).
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:38 AM   #11
nateDEEZY
macrumors 6502a

I guess TV will be good for people who don't have 60gb/80gb iPod's and who don't have the AV kit(docking station/remote/cable). Unless has something planned for the future like HD movie/tv show downloads
nateDEEZY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 01:00 PM   #12
Phobophobia
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Phobophobia
I think it will be cool to be able to bring all your media over a friend's house, and just chill out and watch movies, shows and view your photos.

-- Don't Panic
Phobophobia is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod