Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 10, 2007, 05:08 PM   #1
obrien234
macrumors regular

Changing Excel's default Zoom setting

Does anybody know of a way to have Excel automatically resize and zoom in on a document opened? I get a bunch of Excel files in my emails and everytime they open its at 75% zoom and is only taking up a quarter of my screen. I would just like a setting or script that has excel automatically put any file at a certain zoom and window size as it opens it.

It's becoming a huge hassle to resize and rezoom them everytime I open them....

Thanks
obrien234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 05:17 PM   #2
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gauchogolfer Send a message via Yahoo to gauchogolfer Send a message via Skype™ to gauchogolfer
I'm no Excel macro expert, but I imagine it would be relatively trivial to write one to do what you want, then assign it a button in your menu bar or shortcut keystroke. Maybe via the record macro option? Just an idea...
Old Feb 10, 2007, 05:28 PM   #3
clevin
macrumors G3

i dont quite understand ur problem, do u mean

1. excel's main windows is small?
2. the charts inside excel does not occupy the whole main window of excel?

or other?
clevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 07:18 PM   #4
obrien234
macrumors regular

In the attached pictures you can see what I mean. The first is of how files are opened, and the second is how I would like them to be opened. A majority of the files pop up so small that they are impossible to read without resizing.

Is there anyway to have Excel to automatically set the files setting so my Excel files will open like the second picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	68071   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	68072  
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:30 PM   #5
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gauchogolfer Send a message via Yahoo to gauchogolfer Send a message via Skype™ to gauchogolfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrien234 View Post
In the attached pictures you can see what I mean. The first is of how files are opened, and the second is how I would like them to be opened. A majority of the files pop up so small that they are impossible to read without resizing.

Is there anyway to have Excel to automatically set the files setting so my Excel files will open like the second picture?
I don't know of a way to have it remember the window size, but as I said in my first post, I imagine that you could assign a keystroke combination to do this, using a macro. It would be very fast.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:08 AM   #6
obrien234
macrumors regular

Yeah I'd never really done anything with Macros, but that definitely did the trick.

Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:15 AM   #7
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrien234 View Post
Yeah I'd never really done anything with Macros, but that definitely did the trick.

Thanks!
Good to hear that you had luck with the suggestion.

Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:23 AM   #8
KD7IWP
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to KD7IWP
Would you mind posting how you did it with a macro? (I obviously have not used macros before)
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:37 AM   #9
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD7IWP View Post
Would you mind posting how you did it with a macro? (I obviously have not used macros before)
The 'record macro' feature is really handy, because you just hit start and it follows your actions. So, hit 'record', then resize the window to your desired size. Then, stop recording. It'll save the macro, and you can assign a keyboard shortcut or button to run it. Easy as pie.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store