Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:28 AM   #1
mattthemutt
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to mattthemutt
Short 5.5G 80GB iPod Battery

My father has an 80GB 5.5G iPod. He transfers music to it, unplugs it (after the indicator says the battery is full), and finds that it has no remaining battery charge. Somehow the iPod either does not charge while transferring music, or has a faulty battery, or it is just a figment of his imagination.

Right now, he's playing music off the iPod, and it is timing its own battery life to see how long it lasts.

Has anyone else encountered this same problem?
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:31 AM   #2
puckhead193
macrumors G3

the battery will fade over time, but considering his ipod is brand new, this is wrong. If you have a wall charger, try that, and see if it will charge. Then use it and then charge it back up using the USB. IF that doesn't work, time for a replacement!
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:33 AM   #3
mattthemutt
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to mattthemutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193 View Post
the battery will fade over time, but considering his ipod is brand new, this is wrong. If you have a wall charger, try that, and see if it will charge. Then use it and then charge it back up using the USB. IF that doesn't work, time for a replacement!
Okay, I'll give that a try.

First I'm going to discharge the battery after having it plugged in via USB to the computer, and if that does not work, I'll try the wall charger.

Thanks very much
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:58 AM   #4
DaViD Boulet
macrumors newbie

I just bought a used iPod from a private seller (her own device) and she assured me that the battery was in great shape. However, I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me as this other poster... in my case the first time I connected it to my iTunes I had to reformat for my PC and then spend a few hours synchronizing the music files from my iTunes to the iPod. And then it said "Fully charged"... but the battery was near empty when I disconnected it and went for a jog.

Is this normal? Some sort of bug? Will it charge if I leave it connected even if the display says "fully charged"? She also gave me the USB charger so should I try that instead???

thanks!!
DaViD Boulet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Dino451
macrumors 6502

Are you guys by chance charging using a USB hub? I've had this happen when using a non-powered USB hub. Hooked it up directly to a open port on my PC and solved the problem.
Dino451 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod