Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I will soon be in the market for a new laptop (Apple of coarse). I have been doing a lot of graphics and PS stuff lately and my iBook G4 is just not cutting it. I would like to know what you recomend in terms of MB or MBP, and what config. I am some what of an expert computer user, but I would like to know what you all think. And price is somewhat of a limiting factor seeing as I'm in high school.

mattthemutt

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2004
Ontario, Canada
This is just my suggestion, but the Middle range Macbook seems like a very good deal for your needs. Alternatively, there are many deals (cheaper) on the Apple Store's refurbished page. A Macbook will do for some good, light non-graphics intensive stuff. The 1GB RAM upgrade will probably be necessary for best performence.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
Id say that the macbook should be fine as long as you dont do anything graphics intensive (3d rendering) however 2 gig of ram would be realy realy nice to have.

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
save your money.

If you have your own ibook g4 and you are in highschool that is way more than enough. Why not wait until you are in college to buy a new laptop, then you will be able to get the latest greatest at that time. There is absoultly no reason why you would have to buy a new one right now if your current ibook is just a little slow.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
Well food for thought. I'm not quite sure what i'm going to do. If I do get a computer it will take about a month to save up, but then also waiting until after school and seeing what is out then is also a good idea. But thank your for your words of wisdom.

likeavaliant

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
computer experts can look at the specs to know what they need exactly.
youre still in highschool. just wait until youre done in order to get the best of the time.

also, unless you are a professional designer doing heavy workloads you wouldnt need a mbp... a macbook would suit you just fine.

iris_failsafe

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
mbp is an overkill unless you plan to teach final cut pro or any other video, 3d app...

I use Maya, Combustion, Photoshop daily and my MBP barely feels the pressure I used to hate them but I love Intel now....:D

Apemanblues

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
Zombieland
If you're serious about Photoshop and graphics then you will be looking for a desktop Mac.

You also don't need a new Mac. A refurbished Powermac (or even iMac) with a decent monitor will serve you fine and will be relatively inexpensive. Just fill it with ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.