Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hockeymonkey83

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
Norfolk, VA
I thought this was funny so i took a picture with my phone :)
l_218cdea969002da1de7d8e147c1ffa3d.jpg

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
It's the boot loader. It's where you select an OS in a multi-boot environment. I don't understand the amusement in it, as it's reminiscent of previous iterations of NTLDR.

It'd be like demoing a Macintosh while in the Boot Camp or in the PPC-based OS 9/OS X switcher. Difference being NTLDR is text based and Boot Camp is graphically based.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
That makes two of us, Cassie :) I'd also like to know what it says. Maybe they just traded the blue screen of death for a black one, thus avoiding the hassle of learning a new acronym and keeping BSOD :D

EDIT: Darn, people on these forums write fast! I still liked my idea better than a boot menu though :)

hockeymonkey83

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
Norfolk, VA
plus what is the point, in boot camp you can chose between OS X and XP this only has one option an not even a safe mode, plus i remember that in xp it had a timer so if you didnt chose anything it would load up default, this was constant

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Thank you for the link -- yeah, when you look at it from the front, it isn't nearly as pretty as my iMac. When you look at it from all angles, it isn't even pretty. ;)

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
that's probably the screen for selecting an OS.

i saw one of those the other day at BB before vista was released. my impression was actually quite positive. while the HP doesn't look as elegant as an imac, the vista machine is quite fancy - touch screen, a space for a photo printer, a space for wireless KB and mouse, TV, PVR, an easily-accessible drive bay for additional storage, etc.

would i buy one? probably not... :D

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I've messed with this at work. It's a screen that is mounted on top of the CPU. It's almost like an iMac except it's form is more clunky and it has a touch screen. The keyboard can be stashed below the CPU.

It's pretty cool, but alot of people that try it out, think it's something new and revolutionary that comes with Vista. Ummmmmmmm, no. Try again.

It's this one http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/computers/desktops/IQ770_series/rts/4/computer_store/RN635AA%2523ABA

Look at that remote control.

How many buttons are there!*

You'd need a PhD to operate the thing.

* About 50 is the answer.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
Is it me or do I find humor in the fact that every PC manufacturer has to say Genuine Microsoft Windows Vista blah blah included?

Like they're gonna sell you a pirated copy with virii and pr0n on it.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Lol this reminds me, I was at Costco the other day and I was curious at how easy it was to crash a PC with Vista. So I clicked in the Internet Explorer about 15 times and then tried Flip 3D and the whole thing froze up :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.