Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:21 AM   #1
Am3822
macrumors 6502

'print to file' in OS X

Hi people,

Is there a way to define a 'file printer' in OS X? I use matlab (which does not support saving m-files as PDF from the editor), and I'm looking for a way to print them to a PDF/PS file.

Thanks,
Am.
Am3822 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:54 AM   #2
dpaanlka
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to dpaanlka
File -> Print

There should be a "PDF" option if the program uses a standard Apple printer dialog. If it does not use this dialog, then there is usually an option to switch to the standard Apple printer dialog.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	61
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	68266
Old Feb 13, 2007, 01:07 AM   #3
Am3822
macrumors 6502

Thanks, however, since I don't have any printers connected to my machine, all I get when I select File->Print is the following error message:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	36
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	68268  
Old Feb 13, 2007, 01:31 AM   #4
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Just set the system up to use a fake printer, then it will work.

TEG
Old Feb 13, 2007, 02:45 AM   #5
Am3822
macrumors 6502

That's what I want to know how to do. Do I simply select any printer and set it up?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 03:25 AM   #6
hopejr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3822 View Post
That's what I want to know how to do. Do I simply select any printer and set it up?
Looks like you can't set up a printer unless it's connected. Maybe just connect a printer, install it, and then do it.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:28 AM   #7
dpaanlka
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to dpaanlka
You should still be able to access the printer dialog even without a printer installed. The program you're using must not use the standard Apple dialog.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:00 AM   #8
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

You need to create a "virtual printer." Here are the instructions:

http://www.caddpower.com/B2123803424...081/index.html
Old Feb 13, 2007, 01:31 PM   #9
Am3822
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
You need to create a "virtual printer." Here are the instructions:

http://www.caddpower.com/B2123803424...081/index.html
Thank you very much -- that's what I was looking for.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:13 PM   #10
NevilRead
macrumors newbie

Problem re-rears its head

Is it possible to set a printer location (ie the ip address when adding printer) to be a socket or pipe or something that dumps into a file?

I'm using os X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and the instructions, above, in this thread don't work. Actually the provided link includes a note that it does not work with Leopard but provides no solution.

The problem is that there is no longer an "output options" option in the list where it used to be in earlier versions of the OS.

Sadly I have a package that prints acceptably to my letter sized ps printer, but the resolution it uses on the PDF option in the print dialog is terrible. They must have it set for 72dpi, and they always generate letter sized pdf files. There appears to be no way for me to change the resolution generated when printing to pdf.

I need to create an EPS or PDF file using postscript driver so I am able to preserve the resolution on a Super B sized page. I need to be able to send an EPS or PDF to a shop that will print the large format for me.

Would be so happy if someone could resolve this.
NevilRead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:11 PM   #11
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilRead View Post
Is it possible to set a printer location (ie the ip address when adding printer) to be a socket or pipe or something that dumps into a file?

I'm using os X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and the instructions, above, in this thread don't work. Actually the provided link includes a note that it does not work with Leopard but provides no solution.

The problem is that there is no longer an "output options" option in the list where it used to be in earlier versions of the OS.

Sadly I have a package that prints acceptably to my letter sized ps printer, but the resolution it uses on the PDF option in the print dialog is terrible. They must have it set for 72dpi, and they always generate letter sized pdf files. There appears to be no way for me to change the resolution generated when printing to pdf.

I need to create an EPS or PDF file using postscript driver so I am able to preserve the resolution on a Super B sized page. I need to be able to send an EPS or PDF to a shop that will print the large format for me.

Would be so happy if someone could resolve this.
I already have multiple printers set up on ML, so I don't know if this will work for you but... In System Preferences, pick Print and Fax. Then pick new printer and IP should show up as one of the options/icons you can choose. Once you pick IP, put in localhost for the ip address and pick generic postscript printer.

This gives you a local printer that the system thinks you own and you should now get a system print dialog and from there you can choose PDF to save to a pdf file. If you don't have an IP icon for picking a new printer, I suggest you add a brother printer, telling the machine it's on the network. Of course OSX won't find the printer but perhaps it will add the IP icon to your printer pane in system preferences. I mention brother because all of my printers are brother printers and they are all network printers.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:14 PM   #12
tootall
macrumors regular

Install CUPS-PDF as a printer and you will kill two birds with one stone

(no animal was harmed in this post)
tootall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:30 PM   #13
NevilRead
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0k View Post
In System Preferences, pick Print and Fax. Then pick new printer and IP should show up as one of the options/icons you can choose. Once you pick IP, put in localhost for the ip address and pick generic postscript printer.

This gives you a local printer that the system thinks you own and you should now get a system print dialog and from there you can choose PDF to save to a pdf file.
Yes, this generates the same terrible pdf file I get with my ps printer driver.

I was trying to not use the "pdf" button in the print dialog but capture actual print output.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
Install CUPS-PDF as a printer and you will kill two birds with one stone

(no animal was harmed in this post)

Thanks works great... now if I can just get cups-pdf to give me large paper sizes, but still a big improvement even at letter size.

Last edited by NevilRead; Oct 15, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
NevilRead is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X