Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

advocation

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Yeovil, UK
Hey,
I'm moving in to a flat with a couple of mates in teh summer.. one of them is a computer novice, and the other one is an IT technician for PC's.
Talking to the IT technician, he wants to set up a media center, but using a media center PC.. I however want to use a mac mini, and Front Row.

His main argument is that the Mac Mini and Front Row do not support TV where as Media Center does..

Are there any points that I should put accross to him?!

amiga

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2006
London.
With Elgatos EyeTV a mini can do TV and can be controled from the apple remote though it doesn't fully intergrate with front row... but its what I do, my 17" Imac G5 is my tv, my DVD player, my music centre and I output with optical out to a DTS amp for movies :) works very well for me! :)

Check out elgato.com see if that helps.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
how about this point.

if you're pluging the media center/mini into a tv... ...WHAT THE FRACK DOSE THE MEDIA CENTER NEED TV FOR, JUST WATCH THE DARN TV.

if you want to record TV you can pick up a dual format DVD-Recorder (set top) for £59 in the UK and our stuff is usually more expensive than anywhere else, or a VCR cant be too expensive these days

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i would also go a bit further to ask: how is this being paid for? are you using someone's existing equipment or putting money together to buy something new?

If it's the latter, I would say the one supporting the 'winning' equipment pay more b/c they'll probably keep it should someone move out?

from what i hear, as bad as pcs are, the media center is great. having to buy the elagto might be an extra cost not necessary.

good luck,
keebler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.