Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgurbisz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
I have been using Safari on my iMac for a while now, but recently I've been thinking about switching to Firefox as Safari does not currently work with a lot of web based applications that I want to use. Well any way, what are your opinions on the pro's and cons of safari and firefox... it it a good decision to switch to Firefox or should I stay with Safari?

Regards--- jgurbisz

apple1984

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
usa
I use Safari at the moment, and I really like it. The design is good, it's fast, and it integrates well with other apps. I think firefox is more of a solution to a windows problem, that is, the lack of good web browsers on windows systems. I've used firefox, but I've found it is much slower to use than safari. Besides, I very rarely find websites that don't load well in safari.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
This gets asked loads. Have a search of the forums and you'll find lots of opinions to help you make your decision.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Try it out for a few days - that's the only way to know.

I like the extensions in Firefox, so I use it. I'm not so worried about speed.

Also try Camino.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Well, even though this has been asked about once per week since Safari came out, I'll answer anyway and say that I still use Safari 95% of the time, with Firefox installed as a "back-up" - nobody says you can't have two browsers on your system.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
my answer was, is, and always be the same. go search this forum
Thank you. I'm sure that was very helpful.

Anyway, I'd recommend installing it, as it can't hurt, but I'd expect Leopard's version of Safari to be even more compatible (given current WebKit builds). Firefox has a number of helpful extensions and plugins, as do the other browsers. They're all free, so it doesn't hurt to try them all.

There are some Windows-specific pages that won't load on any OS X browser, but they're relatively rare.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Thank you. I'm sure that was very helpful.

Anyway, I'd recommend installing it, as it can't hurt, but I'd expect Leopard's version of Safari to be even more compatible (given current WebKit builds). Firefox has a number of helpful extensions and plugins, as do the other browsers. They're all free, so it doesn't hurt to try them all.

There are some Windows-specific pages that won't load on any OS X browser, but they're relatively rare.

are you being sarcastic? I was simply saving the resource for this forum since this exact topic has been brought up every two weeks, and there are lengthy discussion previously, and both browsers have no new update, hence there is no reason to keep piling up on the same topic, is there?

I would sure appreciate if thats a sincere "thank you", or if u don't really mean it, please don't say it to confuse me. :eek:

astarling06

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
Manhattan, KS
I alternate between Safari and Camino. When I try and listen to Sirius online, it doesn't work in Camino but will open when I use Safari. Camino has similar features as Firefox does (built by same people) but has more of a Mac look to it.:)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
are you being sarcastic?
Psst. Read his sig.

I alternate between Safari and Camino. Camino has similar features as Firefox does (built by same people) but has more of a Mac look to it.:)
I agree. I almost always use Camino. Some sites get thrown off by a Mozilla browser that's not explicitly FF, so then I'll just use Safari.

That said, OP, you've got Safari and Camino, FF, and almost all those other browsers out there are free. So download them, give them a whirl. See which one suits your needs and wants the best.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
are you being sarcastic?
I was being sarcastic because, also mentioned repeatedly each week, the forums search capabilities are not exactly state-of-the-art, so someone new to the site or who hasn't needed to search before might not find anything of use or might have to wade through a ton of garbage.

I'd rather that people either opted not to reply at all, replied with advice, or replied with links and how they found them. Simply saying "search the forums" is of no use to anyone.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
oh yeah, I would rather ppl being straightforward too,
btw, Im sorry there is defect in forum's search function, altho I have been using it without any problem, so I don't really understand what you were referring to, but for OP's convince, check these posts
Poll: What is your favorite browser?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/252146/
Firefox is so much better than safari!!!
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/271949/
Safari vs Firefox
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/272376/
Which browser is preferred: Safari or Firefox?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/269277/

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I switched over to Firefox when 2.0 came out. I would have earlier, but I need spellcheck in my browser (I'm an idiot). I like the FF extensions, it's a bit faster rendering pages, will work on a couple of sites that Safari won't handle, and I prefer the way it handles tabs. I'll give Safari another try when 10.5 comes out, though.

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
oh yeah, I would rather ppl being straightforward too,
btw, Im sorry there is defect in forum's search function, altho I have been using it without any problem, so I don't really understand what you were referring to, but for OP's convince, check these posts

Agree with clevin on this. It is geting old seeing once or twice a week the same question on a "Safari vs ???". A basic search whether inferior as implied here still provides answers to the same repeated questions. Or maybe a 'Stickie" put up by the "Mods" with basic answers/links to the same questions that are being asked over and over again. It probably will not stop anything but cannot hurt....

Here is another link from another site that has a "Sticky" on this subject;

"http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52665"

Bill.....

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
I personally like Camino, I used that as my primary browser.
It's greap and has an interesting history. Also check out pimpmycamino.com for some nifty plugins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.