Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old May 28, 2003, 02:20 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AAC Support in Tivo's HomeMedia

MacMinute reports that a TiVo spokesperson has indicated that they are working with Apple to support AAC files.

Apple has started selling TiVO's at select Apple Stores, and TiVo's Home Media option has provided Mac support for sharing photos and songs from your computer.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 02:24 PM   #2
mactastic
macrumors 68040

Wow... that was fast. Seems like apple and tivo are pretty tight.
Old May 28, 2003, 02:24 PM   #3
iAdam
macrumors member

Do you think Apple would ever make thier own Tivo-like product?
iAdam is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 02:28 PM   #4
mactastic
macrumors 68040

There was some talk on these rumor boards about apple actually buying tivo. Who knows how much truth there is in that, but its nice that iTunes AAC support is out for like a month and already tivo supports the format. Seems like there is definetly some collaboration between them if not something more.
Old May 28, 2003, 02:29 PM   #5
Chef Ramen
macrumors member

they dont need to...they have a nice relationship with tivo
Chef Ramen is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 02:29 PM   #6
Timothy
macrumors 6502

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to connect my Tivo Series 2 to my home network? I don't have cat 5 throughout my house, and am running an Airport network. Is there a wireless 802.11 to USB converter that I can buy?

Anyone doing the Home Media option with their Tivo yet?
Old May 28, 2003, 02:38 PM   #7
Cabrewolf
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally posted by mactastic
There was some talk on these rumor boards about apple actually buying tivo. Who knows how much truth there is in that, but its nice that iTunes AAC support is out for like a month and already tivo supports the format. Seems like there is definetly some collaboration between them if not something more.
I think the big thing is that if anyone has looked at the financial statements and analysis of Tivo, it is obviouse that if they do not pull something from there @ss or are bought they will die.

Wolf
Cabrewolf is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 02:45 PM   #8
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
I wouldn't mind seeing Tivo's technology wrapped up in a mac frame, like the "apple set top box" that was rumored a few years ago (I'll try and find the link). Now, if it accepted the HD recording option, but also included DVD playback/recording features as well as VHS qualities, that would be a living room monster machine. Imagine being able to record your VHS tapes directly to DVD, as well as record all the episodes of your favorite shows and record the entire season to a DVD (or 2), so you could keep it forever.

To me the biggest stopper is being able to transfer VHS to DVD without jumping thru a hoop.

<edit> here's the link: set top box
Old May 28, 2003, 02:48 PM   #9
Flowbee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally posted by Timothy
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to connect my Tivo Series 2 to my home network? I don't have cat 5 throughout my house, and am running an Airport network. Is there a wireless 802.11 to USB converter that I can buy?

So as not to hijak this thread with an off-topic discussion, there's plenty of easy to access info at tivo.com. More specifically: http://www.tivo.com/4.9.8.asp

Also, try http://www.tivocommunity.com if you have other tivo specific questions.

Hope this helps.
Old May 28, 2003, 02:52 PM   #10
pcp_ip
macrumors regular

Quote:

HMO rocks (pun intended). The tiny Linksys Instant Wireless USB Network Adapter - Version 2.6 is what you need- however it HAS to be version 2.6. My 2 tivos are linked with these to my airport network.
pcp_ip is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 02:53 PM   #11
Timothy
macrumors 6502

With regards to Apple buying Tivo etc...

Why? To what end? I think these rumors probably started around faint rumors of talks ongoing between Tivo and Phillips. If the end result is that Tivo and Phillips are using Rendevous technology to leverage Apple computer technology, and to provide added services to Apple customers, then what reason would there be for Apple to enter a market that is not central to their mission?

It seems to me that any involvement Apple has had with Tivo probably culminates in making Rendevous work as seemlessly as possible with these services. That provides the benefits I want and shields Apple from risky business ventures. A win-win if you ask me.
Old May 28, 2003, 02:59 PM   #12
Frobozz
macrumors 65816

YES!

YES! YES! YES!

I need this. I have purchased about 30 songs from iTMS that I can't see on my TiVo. Just what the doctor ordered.
Frobozz is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 03:01 PM   #13
phgreer
macrumors regular

If apple could use Tivo as a gaming platform as well that would be a real kicker. Also it would increse product awareness by brinking Apple into the living room.

Also if you could use your TV as an external monitor as well via Tivo that would be neat.

It would be great for parties as well. If Tivo is hooked through a home entertainment system you could play your iTunes, iMovies and iPhoto stuff via the stereo and TV...

Yeah..

I'll buy one.
phgreer is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 03:21 PM   #14
bbarnhart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to bbarnhart
Quote:
With regards to Apple buying Tivo etc...

Why? To what end? .... what reason would there be for Apple to enter a market that is not central to their mission?

Apple sells a MP3/AAC player and that is not central to their business... or is it? Computers are becoming more integrated with other devices (MP3/AAC, TV, DVD, photographs). It's like computers a 'digital hub.'

Maybe your point was "why should Apple do the TiVo thing when they are already doing it."

What I would like to know, is why is TiVo not profitable? Are they losing too much money on their boxes or are they not running a very tight ship. If you call the box sale a wash then they must need to trim employees and development costs.
bbarnhart is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 03:37 PM   #15
pcp_ip
macrumors regular

i love my tivos, but they're doomed.

tivo's problem is thus:

they can't clearly get the point across of what tivo is to jimmy six-pack and suzie house wife. Geeks buy it, but they have never had extensive penetration into the general public.

while they struggle to educate the masses on what a DVR is, the cable companies are rapidly building DVR capabilities into their cableboxes (abet, inferior).

before tivo gets a chance to win mass appeal, they'll get squeezed out by the cable companies that already have a box connected to your tv.

time warner nyc already has basic DVR features (HBO on demand type features) built into their digital cable boxes.

why would someone new to the concept of digital video recorders want 2 of them on the same TV? or two set top boxes on the same table?

My $0.02 on why Tivo is going to have a tough go of it.
pcp_ip is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 03:39 PM   #16
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally posted by pcp_ip
while they struggle to educate the masses on what a DVR is, the cable companies are rapidly building DVR capabilities into their cableboxes (abet, inferior).

before tivo gets a chance to win mass appeal, they'll get squeezed out by the cable companies that already have a box connected to your tv.
Actually TimeWarner is now offering a full DVR option for $6/month for those with digital cable.... but I assumed that Tivo/Replay or whoever was licensing their design/software to TimeWarner.

if so, it's a win-win.

arn
arn is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 03:40 PM   #17
pcp_ip
macrumors regular

it's not from tivo, that's for sure. the UI is terrible.
pcp_ip is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 03:43 PM   #18
MacVault
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to MacVault Send a message via Yahoo to MacVault Send a message via Skype™ to MacVault
What about QT/Video/MGEG4???

Will Tivo ever be able to play on my TV the moveis that are stored on my computer???
MacVault is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 03:59 PM   #19
mohaukachi
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to mohaukachi
tivo?

yet another expensive toy i dont need. yay
Old May 28, 2003, 04:02 PM   #20
P-Worm
macrumors 68020

Re: What about QT/Video/MGEG4???

Quote:
Originally posted by MacVault
Will Tivo ever be able to play on my TV the moveis that are stored on my computer???
I hope so, I want to store things to my computer. I've never had a VHS machine (I have Betamax and Laserdisk ) but all I use is DVD now. I don't usually need to record, but when I do...

P-Worm
P-Worm is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 04:07 PM   #21
magazineaddict
macrumors newbie

Got an invite to hear this guy speak recently...

Perhaps this has something to do with the cozy relationship between Tivo and Apple of late. The following is the Bio of a Tivo exec that will be speaking at a meeting of Marketing professionals in my area in a few weeks....

Brodie Keast
Senior VP & General Manager TiVo Service

Brodie is responsible for growing the TiVo Service business. This includes driving continued subscriber growth, advancing the capabilities of the TiVo service, delivering 95%+ customer satisfaction levels, building the TiVo brand in the consumer market and leveraging partnerships to expand the market for the TiVo service . He is also responsible for building an advertising and sponsorship business on the TiVo platform. Brodie leads the company's overall marketing, sales, corporate communication, advertising production and service development functions.

Brodie joined TiVo in 1999. He brings more than 22 years of marketing, engineering and general management experience to TiVo. Before joining TiVo, Brodie was Vice President and General Manager of the DLTtapeTM Division of Quantum Corporation, where he helped to grow that business' revenue by more than 90 percent to $1.2 billion in less than three years. Prior to that, he spent ten years at Apple Computer, Inc., where he headed worldwide product marketing. Brodie started his career at Hewlett-Packard in a variety of engineering, engineering management and marketing roles.

I don't know much about his history other than this bio, but it might be the link between Tivo and Apple that is making things happen.
magazineaddict is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 04:09 PM   #22
nagromme
macrumors G5

Good to see that Apple is letting third parties in on their DRM. Even less restrictive and more useful.
nagromme is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 04:10 PM   #23
macquariumguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to macquariumguy
Now if we could only get the Series 2 DirecTiVo to support HMO, I'd be all set.
macquariumguy is online now   0
Old May 28, 2003, 04:10 PM   #24
Steamboatwillie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by arn
Actually TimeWarner is now offering a full DVR option for $6/month for those with digital cable.... but I assumed that Tivo/Replay or whoever was licensing their design/software to TimeWarner.

if so, it's a win-win.

arn
I have one from Time Warner (Memphis, TN) and it works pretty good. I have never used a TiVo so I can't compare. But at $6.00 a month a TiVo would have to be spectacular to make me "switch" The iTunes/iPhoto integration is neat but no where near a deal maker/breaker imho.

Just remember, I am not your average idiot.
Steamboatwillie is offline   0
Old May 28, 2003, 04:50 PM   #25
Lokii
macrumors newbie

A couple of questions for the tivo & mac savvy crowd:

1. Is there anyway to download tivo's recordings onto a mac?

2. Is the directv tivo required if you have directv or just "enhanced"

I'd like to have a stand alone box to record but would like to playback on my iBook.

Thanks
Lokii is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)