Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonkob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Ok, here is another dumb question,
I am a newbie to Macs, how do I save something to a folder or file cabinet? I mean, if I open an attachment how do I save it and where. also, I ran the CD that has the drivers for my printer, but where do I install these? I notice its not too easy to save thiungs on a mac........If I have photos on a CD how to I get thm onto the computer?

Retired
May 16, 2006
For photos (not too sure about the rest) put the CD in, find the photos in 'finder' and drag them to either your desktop or iPhoto...good luck!

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
You shouldn't need drivers for your printer, try just plugging it in, and it should work, otherwise there should be an installer on the CD.

For attachments it should be the same as a PC, I'm assuming you are using hotmail, or GMail or Yahoo! Mail, then save the files in Documents, Pictures, etc. they are the same as "My documents", "My Pictures" etc. under windows...

The equivalent to My Computer is the Smiley Blue face on the far left of your Dock.

EDIT: Look at Switch 101 and Mac 101 on Apple.com

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Remember- there are no stupid questions... just a myriad of inquisitive idiots ;)

Now, usually when you get attachments (I'm assuming from e-mails), they are saved on your desktop. If you want to move it to a folder (say Folder A in the Pictures), just drag the icon of the image to the Hard drive thing on your desktop (should be top right), and hold until the window opens (they are spring loaded). On the left side you should see a column where you have your HDs up top, and folders under them. Drag the file to Pictures (in this case), wait for it to open, and then drop in in Folder A.

Same thing with a CD. It will appear on your desktop, and just double click it, and after it opens drag the files to where you want to put them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.