Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramuman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
I've been running Vista on my 17" 2.16 MB Pro and its burning up. It does this because it never throttles the CPU as best as I can tell. I tried playing with the various power profiles to no luck. Under device manager, there is a device called performance analyzer or something (I forget exactly what as I'm in OS X now) that doesn't have a driver. I have one of the last 17" CD (not C2D) models which is otherwise problem free. I'm convinced the lack of throttling is the source of the heat.

I tried the latest Apple Boot Camp drivers, but that only fixed sound beyond what Vista already had installed.

Also, USB seems slow (1.1 speeds, not 2.0) on a thumb drive, but not positive there.

Any solutions to get it to throttle the CPU? If it makes any difference, I'm running a legal version of Vista Business, not a pre-release RC or beta.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
What is the Power Management settings set too? It should be Portable/Laptop for Vista to throttle down the CPU.

The main reason why it runs hot with Vista is because the Temperature Management drivers that Apple provides don't work with Vista, only XP. The system still gets cooled by the fans, just not as efficiently as it would if the drivers were compatible.

ramuman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
What is the Power Management settings set too? It should be Portable/Laptop for Vista to throttle down the CPU.

The main reason why it runs hot with Vista is because the Temperature Management drivers that Apple provides don't work with Vista, only XP. The system still gets cooled by the fans, just not as efficiently as it would if the drivers were compatible.

I don't see such an option in Vista. XP let you choose the type of computer, but in Vista there is just a list of option (e.g. max/min CPU speeds etc. which are set to 100 and 5%).

EDIT: NM, a second install of the Boot Camp drivers is letting it throttle. Weird. I thought the CPU would throttle on its own.

capone2

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
chelsea-nyc
this is great info for me

i was thinking about getting Vista on my 17.......very interesting information. This is strange because i read an article online and they tested Vista on this macbook pro and said it had no troubles at all.

My computer runs really great except i still have issues with when the computer wakes from sleep" it makes me crazy. Back in Oct I had it looked at by a Mac Genius, he did all the diagnostic tests and told me it had no problems at all?? So i dont know, but it does run like a charm, thanks God!!

wreck

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2007
Input Remapper

Try this http://www.olofsson.info/index.html?inputremapper.html

It lets you set the minimum fan speed in Vista, and replaces the Apple Keyboard driver. To monitor core temp search for a program called speedfan.

Main problem with temperature in Vista isn't CPU throttling, but rather the fans not spinning fast enough. This dropped my core temps from ~70C to 52C by setting fans to 3000rpm.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
What are you running?

I've been running Vista on my 17" 2.16 MB Pro and its burning up. It does this because it never throttles the CPU as best as I can tell. I tried playing with the various power profiles to no luck. Under device manager, there is a device called performance analyzer or something (I forget exactly what as I'm in OS X now) that doesn't have a driver. I have one of the last 17" CD (not C2D) models which is otherwise problem free. I'm convinced the lack of throttling is the source of the heat.

I tried the latest Apple Boot Camp drivers, but that only fixed sound beyond what Vista already had installed.

Also, USB seems slow (1.1 speeds, not 2.0) on a thumb drive, but not positive there.

Any solutions to get it to throttle the CPU? If it makes any difference, I'm running a legal version of Vista Business, not a pre-release RC or beta.

I'm running Ultimate, with quite a bit of background software, and I don't see the processor ever pegged. I'd say it keeps the procs at or below 10% while idle, which is comparable to the macos.

Even with Boocamp in beta, my mbp is a great vista machine.

I will say this - both Vista and Macos are both bigger resource hogs than XP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.