Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
I'm interested in purchasing a new MBP :apple:

I'm just wondering, for about the same price, which system would yield higher performance (the most taxing apps i'll be using will be for video editing and graphics)

15" 2.16GHz with 3GB of RAM
or
15" 2.33GHz with 2 GB of RAM

thanks for any advice

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I would go for the 2.16 with 3GB if I were you, because you would benefit more from the RAM then the tiny increase in CPU.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
no

I do agree that 3G RAM will perform better, but CPU is harder to replace than RAM, so u can buy the 2.33GHZ with 2G RAM and add RAM yourself later.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2.33, better graphics, faster cpu. The memory upgrade to 3GB is too much for the slight increase in performance.

When prices drop, get 2GB stick and slap it in for much much less. You will have a better machine that way.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2006
It really depends on the application you're running. If it's a very cpu intensive app then the faster cpu might be a little better. Apps like photoshop though react better with more ram.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
An extra consideration, incase people have forgotten, is that two 1GB sticks will work together at twice the speed of one 2GB stick. You do not get this benefit with mismatched sticks. I would say the 2.33GHz with 2GB RAM would be best, because the RAM would run at up to twice the speed as the 3GB in the other, as well as being far less expensive.

I vote for the 2.33.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
An extra consideration, incase people have forgotten, is that two 1GB sticks will work together at twice the speed of one 2GB stick. You do not get this benefit with mismatched sticks. I would say the 2.33GHz with 2GB RAM would be best, because the RAM would run at up to twice the speed as the 3GB in the other, as well as being far less expensive.

I vote for the 2.33.

No, not nearly TWICE the speed - maybe 6% faster real-world, that's it.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Aww man! Can we have extra input here?

We need a third, fourth and fifth opinion, at least, on this issue.

There was a thread earlier about this. the largest increase was 11% opening up iTunes. So basically, if you want to open up iTunes 11% faster, spend hundreds to get that 2 gb stick. I say it is not cost effective.

If OS X doesnt use dual channel, does bootcamp utilize it through Windows?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
OSX doesn't even utilize dual channel memory, so using two matched sticks offers NO advantage.

What are you on about?
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBookPro_17inch_TechOverview.pdf
"For a performance improvement when working with large files, two easy-access slots allow you to upgrade your MacBook Pro with up to 2GB of memory. And if both slots are loaded with an equal amount of RAM, you can take advantage of the system’s dual-channel memory architecture for an additional performance boost. With a dualchannel memory interface, both banks of SDRAM can be addressed at the same time, achieving memory throughput of up to 10.7 GBps."

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
There was a thread earlier about this. the largest increase was 11% opening up iTunes. So basically, if you want to open up iTunes 11% faster, spend hundreds to get that 2 gb stick.

If OS X doesnt use it, does bootcamp utilize it through Windows?

I'm sure Windows uses it, although I don't know to what extent. My PC gamer friend was commenting on the choice of 3GB maximum RAM on the MBP for just this reason.

Geez... Only like 5%... I had no idea... I was thinking at least 50%...

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
I've noticed that the tech brief that you linked to is about the older Core Duo MBP model. The way it says "up to 2GB of memory" infers that that's the maximum.

Now with C2D's the max is 3GB.... so could your statistic have completely changed since that tech guide was published?

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
I would go for the 2.33 C2D.
RAM is easy to upgrade in the future, plus the 2.33 comes with a 256MB video card (as opposed to 128MB in the 2.16) which will be helpful if you are doing video editing etc.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
i think i will just go for the 2.33 with 2GB....

i'm workin' on a PC with 1GB of RAM (barely compatible sticks) and a 2.0GHz single core, no HT P4....EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING IS AN IMPROVEMENT

lol, thanks guys

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Another vote for the 2.33Ghz. Like others have said, you get better processor and better graphics card. Both of which you won't be able to upgrade in the future.

IEatApples

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
So... :confused:

What's the answer here?

Is 2x1GB matched sticks better then a combo of 1GB+2GB?

I've been searching all over for an answer to this question.

Please, does anyone know the difference in performance?

Is it worth the upgrade? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.