Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushfrog

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
I have been offered a 20inch 1.25-GHz PowerPC G4, 256MB DDR SDRAM, 80GB hard drive

Its at a cost of £500

Is this worth it ? will 1.25ghz be suffient for most things ? Am i best to save for a current imac ?

Will i notice a massive difference to my macbook dual core 1.83ghz when running day to day apps?

please someone fill me in

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Will i notice a massive difference to my macbook dual core 1.83ghz when running day to day apps?

Yes, I notice the difference with my iMac G5, which is a lot quicker than a G4, so much so I don't use it anymore, with the £500 buy an external monitor, update the RAM on the Macbook to 2GB, and you'll be set.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I personally think that's a rip-off. £500 = $975 and I would not pay that much for a G4 machine. You could get a refurb Intel iMac with a lot more bang in it for not much more. Unless of course, you're going for the design (which then I couldn't really object to :D).

Mikael

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden
That's a lot of money for outdated computer tech. The G4 might have been all the rage back in the day, but it's time to move on. Or find one for reasonable money.

Also, the "snappiness" of a system has, contrary to widespread belief in the Mac community, very little to do with CPU speed. This is much more likely to be related to the harddrive. Heck even my old Pentium 200 MMX feels reasonably quick at non processor intensive tasks, due to upgrading the drive to a Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Also, the "snappiness" of a system has, contrary to widespread belief in the Mac community, very little to do with CPU speed. This is much more likely to be related to the harddrive. Heck even my old Pentium 200 MMX feels reasonably quick at non processor intensive tasks, due to upgrading the drive to a Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM.

True, things like a faster HDD and extra RAM will make even an older machine feel snappy. But there is something to be said when going from a single core PowerPC G4 to a dual core processor. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.