Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
you mean the one sitting in my windows update?

hahah i just got back on the network from being in the field all day. my laptop was like 'we have downloaded the update for you do you want to install?' i told it to remind me tomorrow. now i'm glad i did. mmmmmmmm only 6.5 more hrs until i get back to the iBook.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Sounds Like 10.2.X

I hate to say it, but it reminds me of how 10.2.4 killed three machines in a weekend, 10.2.5 took out my MIDI and occasionally killed my audio, and 10.2.6 has sporadic drops in both.

Hmmm..... Time for someone to get on the ball with their "great" new CoreAudio and CoreMIDI technologies?

Dan

PS - Not to mention sudden kernel panics in 10.2.4 and 10.2.5.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Re: Sounds Like 10.2.X

Originally posted by alset
I hate to say it, but it reminds me of how 10.2.4 killed three machines in a weekend, 10.2.5 took out my MIDI and occasionally killed my audio, and 10.2.6 has sporadic drops in both.

Hmmm..... Time for someone to get on the ball with their "great" new CoreAudio and CoreMIDI technologies?

Dan

Hate to say it Dan, but have you considered that it might be something you've done? I haven't had any of the problems your listing, in fact, I've not had a mIDI problem since 10.1. The only issue I have had is a slight increase in latency, but I'm running an old machine.

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
2 things:
1: im so happy that i switched to mac so i dont have to deal with micromess
2: i agree, dan i dont know anyone personally that has any sort of trouble with any of the osx updates....sorry for you

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i know it's coming...

[generalization]
i can't believe how dumb and stupid you mac users are... anything M$ does wrong is inexcusable but it's ok for Mac to have problems...
[/generalization]

Sorry Dan. If the problems you experienced get reported by 600,000 other users and/or make the CNN.com, I'd equate to OS X update "problems" to XP's.

I know you weren't equating OS X update problems to XP's, you were just saying it reminds you...

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Another reason to switch to a mac. I cant believe that 600,000 people had problems with it!:eek:

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by MacFan25
Another reason to switch to a mac. I cant believe that 600,000 people had problems with it!:eek:

You know, I can't believe 600,000 people updated, everyone knows the updates create more harm then good.

My friend reported a glitch in IE like 5 patches back and he told everyone not to update, because microsoft screwed it up and opened a bigger glitch.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Re: Sounds Like 10.2.X

Originally posted by alset

Dan

I have not had a kernel panic, (have you checked USB devices and RAM?) but you are not the only one with Core Audio problems after upgrades. I lost all core audio after going to 10.2.6, and on the Apple forums there are plenty in the same boat.

I think it is correct though that the source of the problem lies in what is installed on us minority individuals' hard drives at the time of the upgrade. In my case I dont know which 3rd party utility or haxie is the culprit, but I will hopefully find out as I transfer stuff across to a vanilla partition that upgraded to 10.2.6 like a dream. When something kills audio i will post!

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Dumb??

[generalization]
i can't believe how dumb and stupid you mac users are... anything M$ does wrong is inexcusable but it's ok for Mac to have problems...
[/generalization]

I could reply with something like ' I can't believe how dumb you Windows users are. You most often buy way more power than you will ever need or use, and only buy Windows, because you think that is the only computer that there is. Furthermore, many of you don't even have a clue how to use a computer, you barely can just check email and cruise the web...that's it!!.' .

If I did that say that, the statement would not be true, but it would be more accurate than the generalization previously made.

As far as kernel panics go, I have seen on my 733 and iBook an occasional kernel panic that shows up, and goes away with various updates. In all cases, I have found some networking related issue on why these happen.

I generally have no problems with applying Apple updates, as they have been known to provide speed increases, or, more often than not, remove annoying little bugs that may exist. Microsoft Updates scare the hell out of me. If I get a system that I have gotten to be rock solid, and extremely stable ( not hard to do ), I will at that point refuse to install any further updates until a critical bug forces me to. These are just the natures of the beasts.

Max

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.