Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Feb 18, 2007, 01:55 AM   #1
Paul008
macrumors newbie

Does OS X 'Software Update' automatically delete old files?

Does anyone know if the 'Software Update' feature in OS X automatically deletes old versions of software when it installs new ones?

I am starting to wonder whether Software Update is unnecessarily eating up valuable hard drive space. Just this week it asked if I wanted to install a new Java update to recognize new daylight savings times - a file size of 83MB! (http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...release5.html). I chose to download it (along with two other recommend security updates), hoping it would delete the old version. I checked my Trash, but there didn't appear to be any Java related files.

If Software Update is just adding new files to the hard drive without deleting old ones, then over time this will be a problem, especially with large files like the Java one.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
Paul008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:46 PM   #2
banjomamo
macrumors regular

it should write over the old files. it doesnt delete anything. why dont you get a bigger hard drive if you are worried about 83 mb? maybe you can back up some files to another drive to make room.
banjomamo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:46 PM   #3
$nowman
macrumors newbie

im also wondering why its so damn big
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:49 PM   #4
banjomamo
macrumors regular

java has always been a large file. lots of libraries and bulky code.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:54 PM   #5
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Please keep in mind that most System-owned files never show up in the Trash - they just get deleted by the OS. In fact, if you ever use Terminal to delete files, they're deleted immediately. Trash is only used for files you delete within the Finder.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:58 PM   #6
banjomamo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
Please keep in mind that most System-owned files never show up in the Trash - they just get deleted by the OS. In fact, if you ever use Terminal to delete files, they're deleted immediately. Trash is only used for files you delete within the Finder.
thats a good point. os x hides many of the system files and operations from you on purpose.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X