Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrAW4Help

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
I have a PowerMac G3 Blue & White with 128Mb RAM running Mac OS 8.6
I want to upgrade to OS X (10.4). It has an internal CDROM drive, but I have the DVD version of the OS. I have an external DVD drive (Sony DRX-830UL-T). I thought I read somewhere I could attach the drive via the Firewire connections, reboot while holding the Option key down, and the Mac would recognize the drive. So far, no good.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
I have a PowerMac G3 Blue & White with 128Mb RAM running Mac OS 8.6
I want to upgrade to OS X (10.4). It has an internal CDROM drive, but I have the DVD version of the OS. I have an external DVD drive (Sony DRX-830UL-T). I thought I read somewhere I could attach the drive via the Firewire connections, reboot while holding the Option key down, and the Mac would recognize the drive. So far, no good.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Well, actually you need to hold down the "c" key (not option) to boot from a drive/disk other than the internal one. But be warned, Tiger may not even install with only 128mb of ram.....IIRC the bare min is 256, and even that is frightfully & painfully slow.........

good luck

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Is it a USB drive? You can only boot from a firewire drive on the PPC Macs ;)

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
Is it a USB drive? You can only boot from a firewire drive on the PPC Macs ;)

But you can't boot from firewire on the B & W G3s. Therefore, your answer is to get on ebay and buy a DVD drive (less than $10 for a DVD-ROM and about $40 last time I checked for a Pioneer Superdrive burner), or just go down to a local computer store and buy a DVD burner that is a Parallel ATA drive. With Patchburn it will likely work (but check the specific model on Google BEFORE you open the shrinkwrap off the box).

DrAW4Help

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Thanks

Okay.
1. More memory
2. Use the USB connection
3. Find the "c" key
4. Consider getting a second DVD.
I appreciate the input.
Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.