Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:20 PM   #1
Seele80
macrumors newbie

Is changing macbook keyboard to spanish possible?

I'm thinking about getting one of those refurbished Macbooks. They seem like a really good deal. Howevre, I was wondering if there's any way to change the keyboard from English to Spanish?

Some months ago my wife took her iBook to a genius bar. SHe needed her keyboard replaced because it was decoloured. Will I be able to do the same? Just take it into a store and have them order a spanish keyboard for my macbook? if so, does anyone know how much that would cost?

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who can help me with this. If I don't have to pay a premium price because of the keyboard alone, I will be a VERY happy man!
Seele80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:23 PM   #2
pseudobrit
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to pseudobrit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seele80 View Post
I'm thinking about getting one of those refurbished Macbooks. They seem like a really good deal. Howevre, I was wondering if there's any way to change the keyboard from English to Spanish?

Some months ago my wife took her iBook to a genius bar. SHe needed her keyboard replaced because it was decoloured. Will I be able to do the same? Just take it into a store and have them order a spanish keyboard for my macbook? if so, does anyone know how much that would cost?
An Authorized Repair Center is the place to ask. It seems as though the Macbook keyboard and top case come as one unit though, so prices are around $150.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 01:56 PM   #3
SPinc33
macrumors member

If you're ok with having it "look" like an American keyboad and "work" like a Spanish keyboard, then just go to "abrir internacional" and "menú teclado" and set the keyboard to whatever one you want. You can also add the menu to the top bar so you can switch when you want. If you can't find/remember a key, just select the "mostrar visor de teclado". It's not exactly the same, but serves the function for free!

(my computer is in Spanish to help me learn )
Walking evidence of the halo effect.
SPinc33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 02:07 PM   #4
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
I was thinking about doing the same thing... Buying a refurb MBP in the US to take advantage of the US/€ change rates, and then changing the keyboard...
another option would be to take a dymo, and re-label each key...
Prices in Europe suck!
juanm is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 02:12 PM   #5
TheDance511
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TheDance511
Can i get a macbook keyboard backlit without going pro
Old Feb 18, 2007, 03:10 PM   #6
McGarvels
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to McGarvels
no, you can't. not without extensive modding that will most likely not work. so the short answer is no, you can't.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 04:04 PM   #7
Teddy's
macrumors 6502

Spanish Characters

I don't have a document handy right now, but you can do the following:

Option-e + vowel: Áá Éé Íí Óó Úú
Option-n + n: Ññ

Also Option-U + vowel: Ää...

It is very intuitive IMHO and you will get accustomed quickly

Last edited by Teddy's; Feb 18, 2007 at 04:12 PM.
Teddy's is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 05:36 AM   #8
emptyCup
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy's View Post
I don't have a document handy right now...
Here it is.
emptyCup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 08:00 PM   #9
Seele80
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPinc33 View Post
If you're ok with having it "look" like an American keyboad and "work" like a Spanish keyboard, then just go to "abrir internacional" and "menú teclado" and set the keyboard to whatever one you want. You can also add the menu to the top bar so you can switch when you want. If you can't find/remember a key, just select the "mostrar visor de teclado". It's not exactly the same, but serves the function for free!

(my computer is in Spanish to help me learn )
Thank you for the recommendation but really... I have a powerbook that I am using right now that has got the spanish keyboard and it is god-sent because I work translating documents between english and spanish. So, i do need the keyboard, because I use it so much.

I really hope someone can tell me if they would do the keyboard exchange at an apple store (at the genius bar, perhaps?) and if it would be covered in the warranty, or if not how much I would have to pay.
Seele80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice