Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:27 AM   #1
Aniej
macrumors 68000

Can you password protect Address Book?

I have some information in my address book that I would not like other to be able to get at just by clicking on the application once I have logged into my machine. Is there any application that can make the Apple address book password protected or is there an application that both serves as an address book and can be password protected?
Aniej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Aniej
macrumors 68000

I sent this out pretty late last night so maybe a couple of you early birds are on now and can provide some insight.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 02:03 PM   #3
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Hi, this has been discussed in depth several times... you can search for it, or I can also give you a synopsis: OS X is not really designed for application-level password protection. For lots of reasons, most of them fairly good, and rather better than the alternatives.

Here are your major options for getting security out of Address Book:

1) Secure your computer properly -- make sure you have a login password, that requiring the password at login is not disabled, and that you have set the computer to screen-save relatively quickly and require a password when waking from sleep or screensave. You can also set a hot corner or do several other things to facilitate using screensaver to lock the computer, or you can enable fast user switching and switch to the login window.

2) Create a secondary "secure" account in which you keep privileged information and FUS to it when you need this information. Or alternately create a secondary "guest" account and FUS to it when people other than you need to access the computer.

As far as password protected alternatives go, I'm not sure. Sorry.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Aniej
macrumors 68000

As always your comments were helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to quickly address something that would have taken me a bit more time to search out. Thanks

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help