Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:25 PM   #1
jent
macrumors 6502a

Preview or other app for RAPID photo cropping and auto-enhancing?

On my Windows PC at work I use the built-in photo viewer application to open a single photo, crop it, and auto-enhance the brightness/contrast. I can then hit the right and left keys to move to the next photo in the open folder, such that only the currently-selected file is open at any given time.

In Preview on the Mac, you have to select all the photos you want to work with and open them all at once. I'm trying to quickly crop and enhance about 100 large photos and Preview is crashing on my Mac running OS X Yosemite 10.10.1. Even cutting my selection down to ten simultaneous photos causes problems with Preview.

Can I use Preview to mimic my Windows workflow for super basic photo editing? Is there a better third-party application to achieve this? I should emphasize I'm looking to save time and spend about ten seconds on each photo rather than meticulously work on each one, taking time to close every photo and open the following one.

Thanks for your input!
jent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 01:47 AM   #2
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jent View Post
On my Windows PC at work I use the built-in photo viewer application to open a single photo, crop it, and auto-enhance the brightness/contrast. I can then hit the right and left keys to move to the next photo in the open folder, such that only the currently-selected file is open at any given time.

In Preview on the Mac, you have to select all the photos you want to work with and open them all at once. I'm trying to quickly crop and enhance about 100 large photos and Preview is crashing on my Mac running OS X Yosemite 10.10.1. Even cutting my selection down to ten simultaneous photos causes problems with Preview.

Can I use Preview to mimic my Windows workflow for super basic photo editing? Is there a better third-party application to achieve this? I should emphasize I'm looking to save time and spend about ten seconds on each photo rather than meticulously work on each one, taking time to close every photo and open the following one.

Thanks for your input!
Is this a one time thing? If the exposure adjustments are all the same (ie all shots are the same amount of under exposure etc) you could adjust one photo in Lightroom and then apply the same alterations to the other 99.
You can download a free 30 day trial. It also has an auto button, but as a photographer I'd not recommend this type of 10 second workflow.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:44 PM   #3
jent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
Is this a one time thing? If the exposure adjustments are all the same (ie all shots are the same amount of under exposure etc) you could adjust one photo in Lightroom and then apply the same alterations to the other 99.
You can download a free 30 day trial. It also has an auto button, but as a photographer I'd not recommend this type of 10 second workflow.
Yup, it's a one-time thing.

The auto-enhance in the default Windows photo viewer app does a good job. Sometimes the photos are overexposed and other times underexposed, due to very bad lighting at the venue. So sadly I can't bulk apply a change in brightness to all photos.

My workflow for this needs to be quick since the main priority is getting auto-enhanced, cropped photos ready to watermark (which adds a little time since I apply multiple watermarks) so we can them publish them to our Twitter account. In this situation fast availability of the photos is several times more important than the photos, for better or worse.
jent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2014, 02:02 PM   #4
robgendreau
macrumors 68020

I'd try Graphic Converter. It has a photo browser, and an editor, and can do all sorts of stuff. Once you open a photo in the editor, it has an arrow key at the top to move to the next one. You can scrub metadata (kinda handy for Twitter pix, just saying), crop and resize in all sorts of ways, run macros or presets, and even share to Twitter. It's amazing.
robgendreau is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Tags
bulk, editing, os x, photos, preview