Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 12, 2014, 01:52 AM   #1
popaine
macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 2014 connect to Imac Late 2009

Hi,

I've just bought a Macbook pro and I'm trying to connect it with my old Imac 2009. I've purchased a thunderbolt cable and connected one side via thunderbolt port on the MBP and the other side in the mini display port of the Imac.

Unfortunately when I press CMD+F2 on the imac to use it only as a display screen, nothing happens. Please can you help me sort this issue.

Thanks.
popaine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:31 AM   #2
jdphoto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by popaine View Post
Hi,

I've just bought a Macbook pro and I'm trying to connect it with my old Imac 2009. I've purchased a thunderbolt cable and connected one side via thunderbolt port on the MBP and the other side in the mini display port of the Imac.

Unfortunately when I press CMD+F2 on the imac to use it only as a display screen, nothing happens. Please can you help me sort this issue.

Thanks.
If you are trying to target the old iMac so you can get data off it you are unfortunately out of luck. That iMac only has a display port which is not the same as Thunderbolt. You'll have to use ethernet if you want to do a file & transfer. Or you can put your files on an external hd and transfer them that way.
jdphoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:02 PM   #3
popaine
macrumors newbie

Hi,

What i need is to use the imac as an external (bigger) display of my macbook pro. In a few words, instead of buying an external 27 inch monitor and connect it with my mbp I want to use my imac.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Spink10
macrumors 68030

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6466546
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:45 AM   #5
popaine
macrumors newbie

both Imac and mbp have the same os 10.9.5 but when i press cmd+f2 nothing happens. I think the best thing is to buy a new monitor (4K) and connect it via HDMI and having a 4k output.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help