No sound in iMovie clip - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:13 PM   #1
AnnaCody
macrumors member

No sound in iMovie clip

I'm a newbie coming over from MS for 12 years. Last week I recorded a short clip in iMovie...how neat is that

Tonight I recorded one again and now there is no sound when I played it back. I know I've fiddled with things in system preferences so maybe I set something that has now affected the sound in iMovie

I've checked all the obvious volume controls, they're all up and on.

Thanks for your help,
Anna
Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:20 PM   #2
AcesHigh87
macrumors 6502a

Is it just the clip that has no sound or your whole system? I've noticed my MB has randomly changed it's output settings on occasion and caused my system to have no sound even with max volume.

Also, what version of iMovie are you running?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 03:30 PM   #3
John Doe 57
macrumors 65816

from http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2289

Make sure the audio track has not been muted in the timeline.

Switch to timeline view by clicking the clock button in the iMovie window.

There are three checkboxes on the right side of the iMovie window underneath the sound icon. These checkboxes correspond to the video track and two additional audio tracks. Make sure all three tracks are selected. Any deselected
tracks are muted.

If you are using iMovie 3 or later, check the "Edit Volume" option to see if it is selected. If so, make sure the volume of the affected video clips is not set to its lowest level, or try deselecting the option to Edit Volume.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:26 PM   #4
AnnaCody
macrumors member

Thanks for your replies....it was just happening in iMovie....vs. 8.0.6 (821)

The sound is working again...came back the same way it stopped....for no apparent reason. But I will save this info in case it happens again.

Thanks again,
Anna
Old May 25, 2012, 03:41 AM   #5
macinlover
macrumors newbie

Try this if you have no sound in iMovie

I discovered while reading another blog, that if you add too many video clips to a specific event in iMovie 11, it will kill the sound for the other event clips, and for the projects that use those clips. A way around this problem is to delete the clips that you most recently added to the event, which killed the sound, and instead reimport those clips into a new event.

This solution fixed my no sound for event clips and projects in iMovie 11.
macinlover is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 01:35 PM   #6
AnnaCody
macrumors member

Thanks macinlover....I'll file this too FFR. So far the sound is still working.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 06:17 AM   #7
brandon-iMac
macrumors newbie

Easiest Fix for Clips w/ No Sound

I was having an issue with iMovie and no sound in my video clips. Apparently this is because they were MPEG files so I converted them to MP4 with the tool below.

The easiest solution I found was to use this free converter http://handbrake.fr with these settings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNW3CScsTxQ

Hope this helps!
brandon-iMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 07:48 PM   #8
AnnaCody
macrumors member

I will certainly keep this on hand in case I have the problem again. So far it's been fine!

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 09:28 PM   #9
estherau
macrumors newbie

I have a project that has two music sound clips. On iMovie hd the movie has the sound but no sound clips on iMovie 10. I remember removing those two songs from my computer because they played fine on iMovie HD without those, but I cannot consolidate media now on iMovie hd, and there is no music for my project in iMovie 10 since upgrading. I still have iMovie HD on my computer and can play the project with music.
How can I get the music onto iMovie 10 when the original music files are gone. and if they're gone, why can i still hear them in iMovie hd?
estherau is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help