Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I've had my C2D MBP since they were released. I'm so accustomed to all of my mbp's great features, I know i'm leaving stuff out to show people. What are some "cool" things to show your friends and family who are thinking of switching?

(this list can include osx features, as well as hardware features)

1. iSight Camera
2. Backlit keys
3. Bootcamp/Parallels
4. Magnetic Power Cord
5. amazing touchpad
6. Front Row w/remote
7. Motion Sensor (via MacSaber)
8. Spotlight (though less impressive w/Vista)
9. Widgets (though less impressive w/Vista)

Please help me compile a list!

cz

ruZZ.il

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2007
Israel
^^ The fact that everyone is like, "yeah, but it only has one mouse button", so you just scroll down the page, 2 finger tap, ctrl+2finger scroll for zoom.. shuts them up:)

anyway, I basically just do everything I want or need to be doing. the fact that they all get done at the same time speaks for itself. matlab, photoshop, itunes, word, parrallels, etc etc etc.. oh, and virtue desktop set up with the light sensor to keep what I'm doing relatively organized... and it just looks good :D
when I'm done I just close the lid in the middle of everything.. it has really good 'sleep' functionality.. let alone mac functionality, my windows runs better on my mac better than it does on a pc. when I put it to sleep when its in the middle of processing data with origin on parallels, I just wake it up and it calmly keeps going..

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
As PC user and scheduled to be a switcher in June....

Expose, Dashboard, Keynote, iWeb, Spotlight...every time I watch a keynote back, they all impress me.

Alternatively just tell someone to try Vista...as a life long PC user, trying Vista in my local PC World Vista has tipped the balance to make me switch to OSX.

Doug

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Running Quake 4 and Vista Ultimate and Office 2007. Show them that you MBP pwns their machines.

As for mac, I play AVI files to show people that you can play AVI files on mac. Also tricking outy your adium makes people ask you what client you use for AIM, iChat is also good enough to get people. Girls think its cute that your messages come up bubbles.

Also play a quicktime video, minimize it and show people you can watch the video on the dock, unlike vista where its doesnt show it to you live on the start bar.

Other than that, you listed everything already.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
When your Mac is the only computer (out of all windows machines) on the floor that can run Rainbow Six: Vegas, let alone at a playable frame rate.

which reminds me i should see if the guy downstairs with an MBP would like to play.

Windows users have a fascination with Photo Booth.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
2 finger scroll.

i enjoy using the 2 finger scroll feature as much as the next guy but it's not like other companies don't have a similar feature built into their touchpads. my ThinkPad had scrolling features built into the trackpad and my friend's Dell does, too.

dvader

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
As PC user and scheduled to be a switcher in June....

Expose, Dashboard, Keynote, iWeb, Spotlight...every time I watch a keynote back, they all impress me.

Alternatively just tell someone to try Vista...as a life long PC user, trying Vista in my local PC World Vista has tipped the balance to make me switch to OSX.

Doug
What I can't understand is that there are several version of Vista and to get the full one you have to fork over so much cash for it!?!?!

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
how to impress people with your Mac

The wallpaper did it for me...

Oh, and the goregous Dock :) :apple:

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
I just remembered another: Show them the underside. Seriously, how do PC manufacturers make the bottom of their laptops so ugly?!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
It shows itself off usually whilst i'm using it someone goes "wow, how did you/does it do that?...."

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I like to show off QuickSilver. Pretty useful app. Can go to / run / email any program or doc with just a few keystrokes.

- James

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
open a gagillion different programs then watch a movie in quicktime and show 'em that the video continues to play seamlessly and if you slide the quicktime window around... it slides like butter

mmmm, MBP butter :p

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
1. Put it in an extremely clear box and set it in the middle of the workroom on a platform.

2. Sit back in a comfortable spot to watch the onlookers

3. Keep some glass cleaner near by.

That is all you need to do to show off your MBP. Make sure to get the glass strong enough so it doesn't break when people run into it.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Just using it at my school gets me "Sweet laptop!" and such, but it has also got several people to switch. The thing that impresses people the most is the fantastic design of the laptop and after that the very pretty interface. People are really impressed by Exposé, Dashboard, spotlight, the Dock and even some people have said that the MacBook Pro has the best keyboard ever and I quite agree.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
you can do a lot of tings, and usually just the design of the thing makes people go 'woah', but for me there are two things...

software based, it has to be front row...it just looks amazing

and

hardware based, the battery indicator light of my powerbook or macbook pro...its all in the little touches!

urrl78

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Get a new Sprint EX720 expresscard; Apple has new drivers now for it in a new software update. Dazzle them with wicked fast net speeds. My old Sprint A900 phone which I used as a modem got like 540 Kps download speed; the new EX720 with Rev A EVDO gets me 900 Kps in the same location. Of course it can go even faster depending on your location.

hooch

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
Chicago
And the keyword "Similar"

i enjoy using the 2 finger scroll feature as much as the next guy but it's not like other companies don't have a similar feature built into their touchpads. my ThinkPad had scrolling features built into the trackpad and my friend's Dell does, too.

The keyword here, "similar". I hate the scrollpad on the my thinkpad. First off, the touchpad is tiny compared to my iBook. So, when you couple that with an annoying scroll pad on the right and bottom it gets even smaller. Then, there is that occasional accidental movement of the mouse which runs into the scroll and suddenly, your screen jumps. That is where it gets annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.