Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlsen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
Denmark
Hi!

I've been using Photoshop for some years now. First on the PC, then later on the Mac as I switched six months ago. Currently I'm using CS3.

I upload my photos to some community sites for critics. One of these sites requires the file size to be less than 150kb.

Previously, on the PC, I scaled the picture down (640x480) and adjusted the JPG compression in "save as..." to get below 150kb for the picture. The size of the picture could be previewed in the "save as.." dialogbox, so this was pretty easy.
However, on the mac the file size doesnt match the previewed size. In fact, I'm having alot of trouble getting the files down under 150kb (size still 640x480), even with the JPG quality <5 and the picture looking awful.

I had the same problem the other day, whilst trying to make an avatar for a forum. I found a 200x200 picture, 32kb.
Since the forum demanded the picture being max 70x70 and 20kb, I had to resize it. To I opened it in Photoshop, resized to 70x70 and saved with mid-quality. The picture was now 64kb! How can this be?? Even with JPG quality set at 1, the picture will not get below the 64kb.

This happens with both CS2 and CS3 on the mac. No problems with CS2 on the PC.

Carlsen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
Denmark
Doesn't "save for web" delete the EXIF data?

I need this data to document the shutter time, aperture etc :)

Carlsen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
Denmark
Just saved for web, and the EXIF in the new picture weren't present, but the file size was correct.

Is there any way to keep the EXIF data?

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
it's on the original photo...you should be saving a copy of the original, not overwriting the original.

the save for web option does not retain the EXIF info.

Carlsen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
Denmark
Yes, it's on the original. I do however need the data on the copy.

Looks like I'll have to edit in Photoshop and export using Lightroom. This seems to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.