Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret believes that Final Cut Pro 6 will finally make its debut at NAB, which takes place April 14-19. The software was originally expected at last year's NAB which instead saw the release of the 17" MacBook Pro.

Final Cut Pro 6 has been rumored to bring 5.1 surround sound editing, 1080/24p and 1080/30p DVCPROHD support. ThinkSecret adds that the extra development time has afforded Apple to enhance Final Cut's realtime video editing engine with Core Animation technology.

Lastly, ThinkSecret reports that the high-end Final Cut Extreme targeting Avid users will also make its debut at NAB. Little is known about the product at this time, but it is said to be a hardware and software solution with a pricetag near $10,000.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I hope the Final Cut 6 adds some serious innovation. The jump from 3 to 4 was huge where as the jump from 4 to 5 didnt seem like much of a big deal. Hopefully 6 will be a 'must buy' program.

Final Cut Extreme sounds interesting... $10,000 is a little steep though, even with a device like 'The Mojo' Avid offers.

Lord Nerdos

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2007
Osaka
Doh!!!

I have a terrible feeling that updated mac pros are going to be announced... Terrible, as I ordered mine last week... :rolleyes:
**Homer style "Doh!!!"**

A hardware/software combo for the extreme version would make sense. The ultra high powered 8-core system with a highly optimised final cut.

I can but dream...

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Final Cut Extreme

ThinkSecret believes that Final Cut Pro 6 will finally make its debut at NAB, which takes place April 14-19. The software was originally expected at last year's NAB which instead saw the release of the 17" MacBook Pro.

Final Cut Pro 6 has been rumored to bring 5.1 surround sound editing, 1080/24p and 1080/30p DVCPROHD support. ThinkSecret adds that the extra development time has afforded Apple to enhance Final Cut's realtime video editing engine with Core Animation technology.

Lastly, ThinkSecret reports that the high-end Final Cut Extreme targeting Avid users will also make its debut at NAB. Little is known about the product at this time, but it is said to be a hardware and software solution with a pricetag near $10,000.

Now we're talking..... Real-time video edition integrated with Core Animation, and Extreme for high-end rendering...... can hardly wait:p

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Looks like they dusted off the exact same prediction from last year except this time they didn't mention Red and its "$200,000" price tag. :rolleyes:

I think I'll have to agree to Mike Curtis' take on this rumor over at HD4Indies.

Lethal

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
And an 8 Core Mac Pro For Extreme Fun! :eek: :) 1080/24p and 1080/30p DVCPROHD is already supported in the 5.1.2 update isn't it?

Yes... story updated to reflect that. Looks like in the end we don't have too much information on FCP6 other than the fact that its coming at NAB, and should have a Core Animation enhanced engine.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
A real-time mixed codec/framerate timeline would be a welcome improvement. Also, a darker updated UI like that of Aperture would be swell. :)

Oh yeah, Shake-like optical flow for slo-motion, which reminds me the slo-mo features of FCP need a major overhaul, as well as their filter management (filter styles or layers, anyone?) and overhauled motion tab.

Oh yeah, better color correction including a curves editor and some built-in image processing tools like blurs, power windows, etc.

Oh yeah, media management that actually works with nested sequences, and mixed frame rates.

And one more thing, the ability to edit video sequences other than 25 and 30 fps, such as 5,10,15 fps sequences. Multi-caming sequences as a workaround is simply not professional.

That's about it for now... :)

trudd

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Texas
Hopefully I'll be kicking it on the floor at NAB. Might just have to mosey on over to the Apple booth...

Cult Follower

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2007
North Dakota
I may not be a professional video editor, but i have always wanted to do some amateur work. This stuff is really exciting, but $10,000. A little much?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I may not be a professional video editor, but i have always wanted to do some amateur work. This stuff is really exciting, but $10,000. A little much?

That's for Final Cut Extreme. the new (rumored) extra high-end version of FCP. If you're an amateur, FCP ($1300 or so) or even Final Cut Express ($300 IIRC) are much more the kind of thing you need.

kenn michael

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2006
$10,000 is the rumored pricetag for Final Cut Extreme, NOT Final Cut Pro. Final Cut Extreme seems perfect for the high-end users that need 4K editing and compositing capabilities. Something that Avid would charge over $100K for.

Edit - nevermind mduser63 got to it before I did!

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
**** yeah!

I'm going to hold off from stepping from FCE to FCS. And a Mac Pro, but I couldn't afford that now (nor later) anyway.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
$10,000 is the rumored pricetag for Final Cut Extreme, NOT Final Cut Pro. Final Cut Extreme seems perfect for the high-end users that need 4K editing and compositing capabilities. Something that Avid would charge over $100K for.

Edit - nevermind mduser63 got to it before I did!

Exactly,
$10K is not that much if you do professional editing. I would even say is cheap if the hardware is included.

Signs and more signs point that the octo-core will be here at NAB. I wonder with leopard will come at the same time as well as Adobe CS3.

Great times ahead for professionals.:eek:

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
I hope the Final Cut 6 adds some serious innovation. The jump from 3 to 4 was huge where as the jump from 4 to 5 didnt seem like much of a big deal. Hopefully 6 will be a 'must buy' program.

Final Cut Extreme sounds interesting... $10,000 is a little steep though, even with a device like 'The Mojo' Avid offers.

This isn't anything like the Mojo. Mojo is for home users and "pro-sumers." Or it works well as a logging station for an assistant. If Apple is trying to compete with high-end stuff, they're competing against stuff like this. And all I can say is, I hope so. I spent all day on a DS today, and I would love something from Apple.

Incidentally, the Media Composer software from Avid is $5000 for software only. No hardware.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
The Stage is Set

well this is great news! and hopefully leopard will be out then also....

can't wait to try out the new features :D :apple:

Leopard will likely be out soon after...... often, Hardware
is updated immediately before an OS release....

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Oct Mac Pro Likely Before Or At NAB For Extreeme To Work There

Leopard will likely be out soon after...... often, Hardware is updated immediately before an OS release....
I'm thinking the opposite. 8 Core will likely be a Leopard Mac from day one thanks to better multi-task multi-core management capabilities in Leopard and the Stoakley-Seaburg chipset on the new Oct Mac Pro logicboard. This needs to come with or just before the NAB announcement of FCS 6 and Extreeme for maximum impact and super kickstart sales. Pent up demand for the OctMP will probably make getting one another waiting game even after we all order them on day one.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I'm thinking the opposite. 8 Core will likely be a Leopard Mac from day one thanks to better multi-task multi-core management capabilities in Leopard and the Stoakley-Seaburg chipset on the new Oct Mac Pro logicboard. This needs to come with or just before the NAB announcement of FCS 6 and Extreeme for maximum impact and super kickstart sales. Pent up demand for the OctMP will probably make getting one another waiting game even after we all order them on day one.

I agree. It feels that Leopard might come first week of April, then hardware at NAB.
On top of that there are rumors that Adobe CS3 is coming out end of March. It makes sense to have all software native and Leopard to take full advantage of the octo-core.
I hope it happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.