Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old May 31, 2003, 12:31 PM   #1
mrjamin
macrumors 65816

What's the best gig you've ever been to?

...mine would have to be REM on the Up tour in Earls Court (London) - 1999. Going to see them again in 3 weeks

second to that would be the Deftones in 2001 @ London, Docklands arena, who i'm seeing again in 2 days!

Music is my life, i go to a gig a week usually (not huge ones, admitedly, but they're sometimes the best gigs).
Old May 31, 2003, 12:33 PM   #2
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Hmmmm....either Pink Floyd @ Earls Court, or The Rolling Stones @ Wembly
Old May 31, 2003, 12:35 PM   #3
wdlove
macrumors 604

The closet for me would be that my wife attended several Elton John concerts as a teenager!
Old May 31, 2003, 12:47 PM   #4
g30ffr3y
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to g30ffr3y
NIN downward spiral tour with marilyn manson and the jim rose circus... i saw it in buffalo, not england... but hey... i saw it...

01.29.04 begin
01.29.07 engage
05.17.08 forever
g30ffr3y is offline   0
Old May 31, 2003, 12:50 PM   #5
Moxiemike
Banned

I might be tempted to say stereolab in pittsburgh in 2000..

Morrissey in Akron in 2000 on Valentines day was awesome to

And i've seen the cure too many times to list and they ALWAYS sound amazing.

Robert Smith's voice is top.

I also saw Red House Painters at a small club in Philly. It was very chilling. He's a very intense performer....
Moxiemike is offline   0
Old May 31, 2003, 01:36 PM   #6
trebblekicked
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to trebblekicked
it's a tie between Sleater-Kinney/Belle & Sebastian at the DAR Hall in DC last year, and Cibo Matto/Pavement in Pittsburgh '97.

although REM on the monster tour was pretty good, too.
Old May 31, 2003, 01:57 PM   #7
mrjamin
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by Moxiemike
I might be tempted to say stereolab in pittsburgh in 2000..
I saw them a couple of years ago - wasn't to impressed myself, but then i'd never heard of them when i saw them and they were only a support act

Quote:
Would LOVE to have seen the cure!
Old May 31, 2003, 02:18 PM   #8
zarathustra
macrumors 6502a

Although I have been to many large venues (Pearl Jam, Faith No More, U2, etc.) I prefer the small concerts, 150 people tops.

Of those the best one I have been to lately was Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks (S.M. of Pavement).
zarathustra is offline   0
Old May 31, 2003, 02:35 PM   #9
ExoticFish
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to ExoticFish Send a message via Skype™ to ExoticFish
This is a very difficult question! I think I'm most tempted to say the Foo Fighters concert I went to last week was the best gig I've ever been too.
ExoticFish is offline   0
Old May 31, 2003, 02:36 PM   #10
mrjamin
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by zarathustra
Although I have been to many large venues (Pearl Jam, Faith No More, U2, etc.) I prefer the small concerts, 150 people tops.

Of those the best one I have been to lately was Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks (S.M. of Pavement).
I used to love Pavement. They were great.

I saw POD in a 400 capacity venue before they made it big in the uk - that was amazing. also met brandon boyd (incubus) as well as whatshisname from My Vitroil at the gig.
Old May 31, 2003, 02:38 PM   #11
iGav
macrumors G3

Gig: PWEI, Leeds T&C September 1994,

Review: they totally blew every other band I have ever seen clean out of the water.. No exceptions! Limp Bizkit wouldn't have stood a chance!! heh-heh!!

Dance O' Meter: Pogo'd for 2 hours, crowd surf'd, slam danced... Sample It, Loop It, ****** It, And Eat It baby!!

Gig: Underworld, Glastonbury 1999,

Review: filled the field, big, big party.... last tour with Emerson... And stunning Tomato visuals that worked, even on an open stage... karl Hyde rocks more than any other.... and he's running totally clean too... They were very good at Brixton last year, unfortunately Brixton Academy sucks...

Dance O' Meter: Your are kidding aren't you.... they felt the floor rumble in Tokyo... heh-heh!!

Gig: R.E.M., Glastonbury 1999,

Review: they were cooking that nite, much better than when I saw them at Earls Court a few days previous, but that probably has more to do with Earls Court being the worst gig venue in London.... souless, too big, crap acoustics etc etc...

Dance O' Meter: was all going well, till they decided to do 'Everybody Hurts', that's when the lighters come out and if you dance, you'll be set on fire for being disrespectful...

Gig: Portishead, Ashton Court Festival,

Review: 1997, not billed, we turned up on the day with fingers crossed.... Beth Gibbons is such and underated front woman! Warm, clear summer night, shuffling to 'Undenied' does it really get anymore blissed out than that??

Dance O' Meter: We nodded our heads alot, shuffled our feet, and stared at the stars as they came out to play...

Gig: Sneaker Pimps, Greenbelt festival, 1997

Review: the choons man.... the choons....

Dance O' Meter: See Portishead

Gig: Juliana Hatfield Three, Leeds T&C, November 1993, supporting the fab Teenage Fanclub, and the Posies....

Review: we knew it'd be good when we saw that she had an amp wth a 'F-in Loud' setting....

Dance O' Meter: Pogo'd...

Gig: Nirvana, Reading Festival 1992,

Review: like everyone else I loved Nirvana... but they sucked live... big time! But still defining for being Nirvana's last UK gig!

Dance O' Meter: Slam danced, moshed, pogo'd.... they still sucked though...

Gig: Afro-Celt Soundsystem, Glastonbury 1999, Sunday night...

Review: those who were there, KNOW exactly what I mean.... The party afterwards up in the Greenfield was even more hardcore...

Dance O' Meter: Shake that hippy ***** to those world music vibes... shake it boy... shake it!!

Gig: Carina Round, Summer 2001, The Spitz, London....

Review: I'd read about her in a underground London rock journal, I quite fancied her, so went to the gig, she was billed as a new 'PJ Harvey', that's something to live up to, she's actually better though!!

Dance O' Meter: Too small, too packed...

Gig: Garbage, Wolverhampton, 1996,

Review: not as raw as I'd hoped, sounded exactly like the record... which in hindsight, is actually quite a good thing...

Dance O' Meter: spent most of it with my arms round my then girlfriend, trying to stop her being kicked in the head...

Gig: Oasis, Leeds, 1993....

Review: before they had a hit single, and before Liam started doing that evil 'manc' accent evertime he sang 'Cigarettes and Alcohol'. We were there right at the beginning.... they were so cool, seemd so vital... what went wrong??

Dance O' Meter: Very beer'd up for that one... lot's and lot's of Newcastle Brown Ale, went crazy!

Gig: LTJ Bukem, Coventry 1998,

Review: played at our final student night bash to celebrate finishing Uni...

Dance O' Meter: Destroyed my Airwalks... get my drift...
Old May 31, 2003, 02:41 PM   #12
Vanilla
macrumors 6502a

Dexys Midnight Runners Geno tour at Oxford, UK way back in the mists of time

Joy Division, supporting the Buzzcocks, same venue, again way back when (late 70's)

The Tubes, an amazing experience, ditto the above (I was a student in the area at the time so Oxford New Theatre was THE venue to see acts)

Pink Floyd Earls Court second Wall tour
Pink Floyd Earls Court Division Bell tour, as I got to hear Dark Side of the Moon live

Radiohead, Warrington, UK Kid A tour, absolutely blinding gig on a muddy field in a huge tent. Am absolutely gagging for November to hurry up and get here as I have tickets for the Earls Court gig Nov 27th

So now I feel really, really old, sigh......
Vanilla is offline   0
Old May 31, 2003, 03:14 PM   #13
etoiles
macrumors 6502a

...one of the most 'intense' gigs I have been to must have been Moby in a small club in Lausanne, Switzerland around '98.

The cover band was actually the same guys, they just switched instruments around (I think Moby played bass in the background). Then when the 'real' act started Moby was SUPER aggressive, smashing a keyboard until the keys came off and walking off stage twice...in the second half of the concert, he became super mellow, asked the tiny crowd for requests and played all sorts of songs by other artists...he even had people from the crowd get on stage and pick an instrument.

One of those priceless moments...
etoiles is offline   0
Old May 31, 2003, 03:36 PM   #14
alia
macrumors 6502a

This probably sounds silly but the best gig I've been to had to be one of the three They Might Be Giants Concerts I've been to. I can't decide which one. Their concerts are always GREAT. They always surprise you with the playlist (their discography includes like 300 songs) and they really do interesting things with the audience.

In fact, they are playing free in Atlanta next Friday, so I'm getting ready to attend my fourth concert of theirs.

I love They Might Be Giants!

Alia

P.S. Weezer was really good in concert too, though I'm not much for the stadium concerts. There's just too many people.
alia is offline   0
Old May 31, 2003, 06:28 PM   #15
dynamicd
macrumors 6502

I saw Incubus last May in Chicago and they definitely rocked that show.
dynamicd is offline   0
Old May 31, 2003, 09:58 PM   #16
pivo6
macrumors 68000

The best ones were when I was in college. All at Assembly Hall - U of Illinois

Hall & Oates (roommate is a huge fan) from the second row- Big Bad Boom Tour

Police - Synchronicity Tour last stop in 1983.

U2 - Joshua Tree
Old May 31, 2003, 10:05 PM   #17
evoluzione
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally posted by trebblekicked
Cibo Matto/Pavement in Pittsburgh '97.
love Cibo Matto, SciFi Wasabi just makes me so happy.

iGav, loved to have seen Bukem, especially with Conrad.

Saw Oasis and Blur at The Angel in Bedford. A lot of bands played there a month before everyone heard of them. very strange that Bedford should be a top place for that.

I think the best gig I went to was Herbaliser, at The Roxy in Manhattan NYC about three and a half years ago i think, DJ Krust was playing too, (from Roni Size' Reprazent kru) he was tops. Jake (Herbaliser) rocked out. He even played my two favourite songs back to back for me (I were playing pool with him earlier that night, having handed him a cd of some rather dodgy movies, I was his Hotline contact heh).
Close second though would have to be Metallica at the Milton Keynes Bowl, or Sepultura at Brixton.

I am Hando Jin, Hang Wong's son...
evoluzione is offline   0
Old May 31, 2003, 10:16 PM   #18
pEZ
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to pEZ Send a message via AIM to pEZ
I'm gonna have to say a tie between Semisonic at the Vic Theater in Chicago and Flickerstick at the Rave in Milwaukee - both are really small venues, so you feel like you are WITH the band, not just there to see them. Both bands also talk to ya too, they are entertaining, not just hella good music.
Old May 31, 2003, 10:38 PM   #19
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Duff-Man says....agreed - the cure have always have great sound live...first time I saw them was on the "Faith" tour and I always go see them whenever possible. The Dark Trilogy DVD that comes out in a few days is eagerly anticipated....oh yeah!
Old May 31, 2003, 10:56 PM   #20
Flowbee
macrumors 68030

It would have to be Queen in 1978(?), the "Jazz" tour. It was the first 'rock concert' I had ever been to. I was 11 years old and my dad took my best friend and I to see them at Kemper Arena in Kansas City. I've forgotton a lot of things over the years, but I still have very vivid memories of that show. I saw them again in 1980 and still have the t-shirt.
Old May 31, 2003, 11:34 PM   #21
big
macrumors 65816

Floyd, '94- Legion Fields, Birmingham, Alabama

though Simon & Dylan rocked too,
Old May 31, 2003, 11:36 PM   #22
3rdpath
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to 3rdpath
Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla

The Tubes, an amazing experience, ditto the above (I was a student in the area at the time so Oxford New Theatre was THE venue to see acts)
yeah baby.....

saw the tubes on their first tour(white punks on dope!!!!) with quay lude and the most outrageous stage show.....ever.

more old timer shows...

led zep in 75(ish)...great show...physical graffiti tour
deep purple, the who, allman bros., aerosmith, elo, black oak ark, uriah heep( when the bassist was shocked on stage...), zz top, j. geils, foghat( a great friggin show), golden earring, queen, yes, cat stevens...

and ELVIS(twice).

all before the age of 16.

edit: forgot about audioslave while making the cochese video...

Last edited by 3rdpath; May 31, 2003 at 11:39 PM.
3rdpath is offline   0
Old Jun 1, 2003, 04:44 AM   #23
mrjamin
macrumors 65816

i saw Bob Dylan live and it was one of the worst gigs i EVER went to! Second to that was Toploader supporting *coughs* Bon Jovi.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 05:58 AM   #24
groovebuster
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by zarathustra
I totally agree... I also prefer the small club gigs.

As a musician though it is a cool feeling to play in front of a few thousand people.

But still, the best gig I ever had as a musician (regarding fun) was with a 70's cover band (70's disco stuff) on a festival! We played for almost 4 hours, and the audience (about 500-700 people) was having such a wild party with us, it was unbelievable... Those were the times. I think it was in 1997, but I am not sure anymore which year, I would have to check...

Oh, and before I forget... the best gig I saw lately was Markus Miller here in Berlin in the Quasimodo last fall.

groovebuster

Last edited by groovebuster; Jun 1, 2003 at 06:01 AM.
groovebuster is offline   0
Old Jun 1, 2003, 06:47 AM   #25
evoluzione
macrumors 68010

ooh, forgot about this one, quite possibly my favourite...

Faithless and Paul Oakenfold at Irving Plaza, small venue, awesome

"bouncin' round like bunnies"

I am Hando Jin, Hang Wong's son...
evoluzione is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community