Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Hey everyone!
I've now converted my mom to mac and convinced my grandma to buy a macbook. Although she's getting older, she's still incredibly active with the League of Women Voters, local libraries, and the local botanical gardens.
Today, she finally caved in and bought the laptop. I'm so happy! She's a very fast learner, and already knows how to open safari and get to websites, google stuff, or even bookmark pages. I was wondering if anyone could recommend good books or sites to help people who've barely ever used computers learn OS X.
Thanks much,
wmmk

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
The MR Forum?...

I think the best way to learn something is to just do it. Which is quite easy for any OSX user. Joining any forum will help a lot with understanding computer stuff, I know I wouldn't know half as much without my forums. You can always ask a question and nice people will respond, It's awesome.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
If she is near to an Apple Store, she can head there for the classes they offer. Those are _very_ good for anyone to learn, but also she can ask questions, etc.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Well i haven't read it, but i'd assume it should have pretty thorough, yet useful instructions: Mac OSX Tiger For Dummies. My mom had one for way back in OS 7.5 (GASP) but she liked it a lot... I'd suggest also just poking around Amazon, there should be a lot of books out, that's just the one i knew ;)

ljsimpsonlb

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Help for new users

The first thing to do for your mom is set up a bookmark for her to go to Apple Find Out How. They have so many helpful videos for new users.

Apple.com/support is also helpful.

Going to YouTube and searching on Mac tutorials is also great.

I volunteer at a senior center to help new and somewhat experienced Mac users to get happy or happier with their Macs.

If she lives near an Apple store or a Best Buy, I think they both offer free classes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.