Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Thanks for reading this. I'm relatively new to my Power Mac and to OSX. With Windows, I remember easily finding a CPU monitoring graph thing in the system controls. Is there something like that in OSX, or do you have to download software? If it's a download, does anyone have a recommendation, preferably a free download? Thanks.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
You could always take a look at Activity Monitor, which you'll find in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder. It'll show you your CPU usage, as well as other stuff like disk activity and system memory usage.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
Best thing to do is launch activity monitor, then (assuming you have your dock up and not set to hide) go to the view menu and select dock icon and select show cpu usage from the subsequent contextual menu. That way you have an always on cpu activity monitor.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Thanks, guys. The activity monitor is exactly what I was looking for. I don't know why I couldn't find it. Thanks.

lukecloutier

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2014
This is all great guys, but I have a dual Xeon system. I'd like to have a graph that shows exactly what each of my eight cores is doing. I've been doing some video editing lately and I kinda get the feeling that the procs aren't all running to get the job done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.