Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Feb 26, 2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Joeytpg
macrumors 6502

my Nano 2g doesn't want to free space after Deleting songs...

hi guys, i've just deleted like 5 playlists off of my nano 2g because it was almost full and i also wanted to copy another playlist (close to 1.40gb of mp3's) so i needed the space.

I went on and deleted the songs i wanted out of the nano but it still has the same "free" space available as it did before deleted anything... hoy can i "update it" so that it recognizes the space i freed?

if i eject it, the songs i deleted aren't there, so it is actually deleting the songs but it's not freeing the space.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:29 PM   #2
odaiwai
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to odaiwai
Check for a folder called .Trash on the device and remove it.
odaiwai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:49 PM   #3
SkyBell
macrumors 603

There's a 99.999999999999% chance of this being wrong, but I don't think playlists have the actual songs, do they?
Black MacBook C2D 2.2 GHz - 10.6.8 / Windows 7
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:21 PM   #4
Felldownthewell
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
There's a 99.999999999999% chance of this being wrong, but I don't think playlists have the actual songs, do they?
Correct, they do not. You have to actualy delete the music from your library. The playlists are a sort of link to the music stored in your library. Delete from there and all should be well.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:56 AM   #5
dXTC
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felldownthewell View Post
Correct, they do not. You have to actualy delete the music from your library. The playlists are a sort of link to the music stored in your library. Delete from there and all should be well.
Wouldn't deleting them from the Library be sorta Not A Good Idea? Perhaps Joeytpg would like to keep the unused songs in his Library for future use.

I have a 4Gb nano, and instead of "Sync all files and playlists" (which would surely fill my nano past overflowing), I have the Sync preferences set to "Sync selected playlists" and select the playlists I want. This makes sure that only songs featured on those playlists are loaded, regardless of what's in the Library. This will also delete songs off the iPod that are not in the selected playlists without removing them from the Library, as well as other playlists you don't want on the iPod but might want to keep in iTunes.
dXTC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:05 AM   #6
Felldownthewell
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dXTC View Post
Wouldn't deleting them from the Library be sorta Not A Good Idea? Perhaps Joeytpg would like to keep the unused songs in his Library for future use.

I have a 4Gb nano, and instead of "Sync all files and playlists" (which would surely fill my nano past overflowing), I have the Sync preferences set to "Sync selected playlists" and select the playlists I want. This makes sure that only songs featured on those playlists are loaded, regardless of what's in the Library. This will also delete songs off the iPod that are not in the selected playlists without removing them from the Library, as well as other playlists you don't want on the iPod but might want to keep in iTunes.

As a user of a 30gb ipod with a 15gb music collection, I often forget that libraries can exceed ipod space. This would be a much better idea if the OP wishes to keep his original music.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod