Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Help/Tips

Old Jun 2, 2003, 01:42 PM   #1
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68030

Mail not showing new messages

Okay this is my problem that just started happening this morning. When I go and get my mail it retrieves it fine and even makes a chime telling me I have picked it up, but does not show any new messages. I have re-started Mail several times, restarted the iMac once and somewhere there is 3 new messages, a couple are important, it showed that it downloaded to the computer, but nothing shows up in my Inbox. Has anyone ever had this happen? I have the program set to delete the server after pick-up, so if the messages are on my computer I don't know where they are because they won't show up. I love my Mac because it does not cause many problems, but times like this makes me irrate!
Old Jun 2, 2003, 02:00 PM   #2
mnkeybsness
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to mnkeybsness
try clicking on the Inbox icon in the drawer...i've seen the same thing happen to me once or twice. usually it was because i was using mail in conjunction with something else like konfabulator.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 02:05 PM   #3
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68030

Well it is working now, but I have no idea whatever happened to the 2 important messages, they still are gone...oh well...it said it retrieved them and made the tone, but no messages....;o(
Old Jun 3, 2003, 05:19 PM   #4
Codemonkey
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to Codemonkey Send a message via AIM to Codemonkey Send a message via MSN to Codemonkey
I had something similar happen to me about 6-8 months ago.

Scenario: I would check/recieve my POP email. It would indicate on the dock and the INBOX that I have new messages - however, when I go to the INBOX, there was nothing there.

I called Apple Tech Support, and they were working on it a bit... but the only solution they could come up with was that my user must be corrupt. They were right, probably, but when I asked about my apparently lost email, they offered me no help on retrieving them.

BUT! I searched for .mbox (the extension of the format Mail.app uses) and ctrl-clicked to show package contents. Then I opened up the mbox file in BBEdit (any text editor should suffice) and voila! My "missing messages" were in there!

Not exactly convenient, but it worked for me, and it allowed me to salvage my email.

Maybe it could work for you?

HTH!

Chris.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Help/Tips