Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiniMini

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
NY
Hi MBP owners,

I was wondering if you bought the Matted Screen or Glossy Screen and your reasons for your choice. I know the pros and cons of the 2 screens but I just can't seem to make a firm decision.

I'm going to the Apple Store to get a MBP today (3/1) because the wait for leopard has been TOO frustrating. I'm going to get a 17" screen.

Also, I read on the forum that many of you have problem with MBP's screen (the grainy issue or the uneven backlighting).
Did anyone bought a Macbook pro and check the screens in the store before leaving (to save time)? Would it be very weird to do so? If your 17" MBP have no screen problem, can you tell me the model no. please?

Thank you so much.

Yay mac...here I come!

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
After comparing both kinds of screens at the Apple store, I settled on matte. The viewing angle is better, and I just don't like reflections. I was worried about the sparkly "grain", but I never notice it when I'm using my 15" MBP.

I did not check the screen at the store, but it's pretty good. No dead pixels, decently even, a slightly brighter bottom edge that isn't noticeable with normal use. Overall quality is not as good as my 20" iMac G4, but it is brighter. It took me two days to get a colour calibration setting I was pleased with — it's fairly finicky at the white end of the spectrum.

Note that I have the 15". I believe the 17" model has a better screen.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
First of all, congratulations! :)

I personally prefer matte screens over glossy ones, simply because I find the reflections on glossy screens too distracting.

I have a 15" MacBook Pro, and it's one of the first production models. Yes, there are issues with the screen (The grainy issue under Windows and uneven backlighting). The problem is, some screen issues develop over time, and cannot be detected at time of purchase. I have an iBook that started developing a small white spot in the middle of its screen after approximately 6 months of use, in addition to some uneven lighting issues that weren't present when I first bought it. Thankfully, I was able to replace the screen under warranty. :D

So, just hope that you'll get a good screen on your MBP. :)

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
I have a glossy. It's sharper -- i like it better. Had an old Powerbook 17" and a matte Dell LCD 2005fpw. I'd have to say my glossy 15" is my fave out of the 3.

MiniMini

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
NY
The problem is, some screen issues develop over time, and cannot be detected at time of purchase. I have an iBook that started developing a small white spot in the middle of its screen after approximately 6 months of use, in addition to some uneven lighting issues that weren't present when I first bought it. Thankfully, I was able to replace the screen under warranty. :D

Oh...that's too bad! I thought that if the issues (grainy, uneven backlighting) weren't there when it's right out of the box, that MBP is all set.

As for seeing your own reflection on glossy screens: Is it true that we mostly only see reflections when we are using a PLAIN, DARKER background? (so for normal usage where we open different windows, with different colors, we won't notice our reflections??)

Also, does anybody know if Macbook pro's glossy screen are more glossy or less glossy compare to other PC laptops?

Thanks again :)

MiniMini

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
NY
I have a glossy. It's sharper -- i like it better. Had an old Powerbook 17" and a matte Dell LCD 2005fpw. I'd have to say my glossy 15" is my fave out of the 3.

Do you mind telling me your main usage of computer please? Do you do anything like photo editing/graphic designing?

I personally prefer the glossy one too, but the glare/reflection is what's holding me back.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I got a Matte one - i can't handle reflections. In fact, we joked about getting the "extra glossy with some wax" :D

Haveyou tried them?? I the glossies i tried in the Apple store were really bad for reflections. I know that the lighting around my house is varied - and would be just has bad for reflections. When i looked at the glossy screen - i couldn't even notice the picture the guy was showing me, but only saw myself.

It's the reason a MB was never a consideration.

My 17" (bought yesterday!!) seems to be pretty evenly lit. There is a light band at the bottom, but so far - i'm happy. I do have a "band" thru the menu bar - it's a gray stripe. I'm not so sure where that came from - i didn't see it yesterday. But i'm willing to live with that if the rest of it stays this good.

I really haven't had much time to DO anything with it - i had a migraine last night and went to bed leaving it charging. Today i'm better and will be gone most of the day :( I wanna play!!!

But, the screen is loads better than my iBook, the computer is FASTER than the eMac, and it's mine and i don't have to share with the kids :D

Enjoy it!!!!!!!!

MiniMini

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
NY
I got a Matte one - i can't handle reflections. In fact, we joked about getting the "extra glossy with some wax" :D

Haveyou tried them?? I the glossies i tried in the Apple store were really bad for reflections. I know that the lighting around my house is varied - and would be just has bad for reflections. When i looked at the glossy screen - i couldn't even notice the picture the guy was showing me, but only saw myself.

It's the reason a MB was never a consideration.

My 17" (bought yesterday!!) seems to be pretty evenly lit. There is a light band at the bottom, but so far - i'm happy. I do have a "band" thru the menu bar - it's a gray stripe. I'm not so sure where that came from - i didn't see it yesterday. But i'm willing to live with that if the rest of it stays this good.

I really haven't had much time to DO anything with it - i had a migraine last night and went to bed leaving it charging. Today i'm better and will be gone most of the day :( I wanna play!!!

But, the screen is loads better than my iBook, the computer is FASTER than the eMac, and it's mine and i don't have to share with the kids :D

Enjoy it!!!!!!!!

I know exactly how you feel like. I'd wanna play with my MBP for HOURS, non-stop right after I get it.

Since my PC laptop is pretty much "dead", I have been using my boyfriend's new HP laptop (Pavillion dv6000). The first thing I noticed is my reflection when I chose a darker color background. My reflection really is a distraction. But then I have to agree that a glossy screen looks so much better because the color seems to "pop" out. When I look at my old laptop's screen, it looks REALLY old (it IS old, used for 4.5 yrs)

I did go to the Apple store 2 times, just to check out their screens. When the matte screen is right next to the glossy one, the matte screen seems to look rather dull. But it seems to me that the reflection problem is a lot better compare to my boyfriend's HP laptop. I'm wondering if it's because of different lighting (different environment) or if it's because HP's screen is a lot glossier.

In case I really can't make up my mind when I'm in the Apple store today, I plan on bringing my boyfriend's laptop so that I can compare theh glossiness of the HP one and MBP's (I think it'd look really werid in the store but....I don't wanna regret my choice). If it's noticibily less glossy than HP's, I should go for the glossy screen.

Airship

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2007
Glossy is great if you're terrible at graphic design, because it will oversaturate and misrepresent your bad work and make it look better :)

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I think taking the HP is a good idea - since you know how it reacts at your house, it will be good to compare.

I've just NEVER liked glossy screens - most of my CRTS had matte surfaces on them, the eMac is glossier than i like totally..... but where it sits it's "not bad".

Back to cutting Hemp to make friendship bracelets today. But i'd rather be playing with my new toy :D

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Glossy is great if you're terrible at graphic design, because it will oversaturate and misrepresent your bad work and make it look better :)
Well, maybe :)

As for seeing your own reflection on glossy screens: Is it true that we mostly only see reflections when we are using a PLAIN, DARKER background? (so for normal usage where we open different windows, with different colors, we won't notice our reflections??)
Yes, the reflections are most noticeable when displaying a plain image. But it's still somehow noticeable when you have many colours on the screen. But this is also the case for uneven backlighting: It's a lot more noticeable when displaying a plain image.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
I got the glossy, mainly because I had a Sony laptop with a glossy screen before and I loved it.

So far the screen has been wonderful, no issues at all (3 months old now).

phantasmagoria

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2006
UK
I went with the matte... I much prefer it for when I'm working long hours on my MBP. If I was buying a machine just for home entertainment use then I'd certainly consider a glossy.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you don't care about colour accuracy, or you DO care but own an external LCD that you've calibrated using a decent screen calibrator, then don't worry. Get the glossy. The screen is a bit brighter, but it's mostly the oversaturated colours that make the entire screen look brighter and better to most people when doing normal stuff like watching movies, writing, reading, etc.

Um...yeah, that too. ;)

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
This is a subjective issue, i.e., do NOT take other people's experience as the final truth (FWIW, I have matte). DO go to the store, check it out yourself. Open a few of the applications that have images, text, etc. Pick up the machine and hold up in different angles to see what happens when the lighting changes. If seeing your face on the screen when looking at a dark image doesn't bother you, you'll be happy with a glossy. If watching yourself standing next to Samara in Ring does, get a matte.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I went from a matte 15" PowerBook to a glossy 13" MacBook and then to a matte 15" MacBook Pro.

I miss the glossy screen.

Two of my friends have glossy 17" MBPs and I really love their screens.

I don't do graphics design or anything "professional" on mine, although I do spend more time than I should with it (watching TV on it, surfing, etc).

jimytheassassin

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Matte - I work with Photoshop, Illustrator, Go Live and Final Cut. I stared at both matte and glossy side by side. I chose matte because I hate sharp reflections and love matte screens. Matte screens still reflect light..but it's more diffused.

Glossy - They're definitely "prettier" and less glossy than many PC laptops, but still return sharp reflections when the screen brightness can't overcome the environments ambient light. But I don't think that reason alone makes them bad because they're not. It's a little like looking at a magic eye poster. You have to focus THROUGH the reflections or you'll become distracted. I found it uncomfortable to my eyes. You'll have to decide that for yourself

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
I went with the glossy. There were 2 reasons for my choice. First off, although I work with Photoshop, do quite a bit of image analysis, and mess around with Aperture, I have a 24" monitor that is calibrated, and whenever I need to use the MBP for my work, it's usually attached to it. In all honesty, if you are a graphics designer, photo pro, or anything of the sort, you wouldn't want to be clicking away on a 17" screen (let alone a 15" one). The second reason for my choice was that at the begining there were a number of issues with the matte MBP (grainy displays, uneven lighting), and at one point production of them was actually haulted.
Frankly, I haven't had any issues with over-reflectiveness of the screen, and I actually like the over-saturated look that I get out of my MBP.

jimytheassassin

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I went with the glossy. There were 2 reasons for my choice. First off, although I work with Photoshop, do quite a bit of image analysis, and mess around with Aperture, I have a 24" monitor that is calibrated, and whenever I need to use the MBP for my work, it's usually attached to it. In all honesty, if you are a graphics designer, photo pro, or anything of the sort, you wouldn't want to be clicking away on a 17" screen (let alone a 15" one). The second reason for my choice was that at the begining there were a number of issues with the matte MBP (grainy displays, uneven lighting), and at one point production of them was actually haulted.
Frankly, I haven't had any issues with over-reflectiveness of the screen, and I actually like the over-saturated look that I get out of my MBP.
Well said..
Just thought I'd add that I've seen the same uneven backlight issues on some Glossy MBPs at the Apple Store too.

sturigdson

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
Matte is where it's At!

[or where it's "atte," maybe.]

Over-Saturated colors, perception of brightness, etc- all that is, to me, a negative point- Even though I would, of course, calibrate photography or video work [my primary use] I do have my machine on the road, so I want it to be as accurate as possible for those times when I don't have access to a calibrated monitor. But this is my choice based on my specific needs.

Plus- while a glossy is sure gorgeous, it also shows fingerprints, dust, etc. As dirty as my matte screen gets, I'd hate to see the glossy after a couple weeks. Feel like I'd be constantly trying to clean it! I'd be interested to hear: what is the cleaning experience/thumbprint ratio for you glossy owners?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.