Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadsp33k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Parkville, MD
Please forgive my n00bishness. Does my macbook core 2 duo whatever have wireless n? and, i need a new router for my mac and two pc running vista. is airport extreme a good choice? i really like the idea of sharing a harddrive and printer via the usb hookup in the back of the router.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
AFAIK, all Core 2 Duo notebooks have pre-802.11n, however, you need to enable it. If you buy the Airport Extreme base station, it'll come with the enabler on a CD. If you buy another brand base station, you can download the enabler for $1.99

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E07A&nplm=D4141ZM/A

How are your two Vista machines going to connect to the network? Wireless or wired? If wireless, are they also 802.11n? If wired, do you know if they're 10/100/1000 or just 10/100?

dadsp33k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Parkville, MD
AFAIK, all Core 2 Duo notebooks have pre-802.11n, however, you need to enable it. If you buy the Airport Extreme base station, it'll come with the enabler on a CD. If you buy another brand base station, you can download the enabler for $1.99

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E07A&nplm=D4141ZM/A

How are your two Vista machines going to connect to the network? Wireless or wired? If wireless, are they also 802.11n? If wired, do you know if they're 10/100/1000 or just 10/100?

one vista is a wireless laptop and the other is a desktop with a wireless adapter. isn't the airport extreme compatible with g also? can it put out g an n together?

dadsp33k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Parkville, MD
Keep in mind, if you have G clients (i.e. your Windows boxes), your MBP will only be G as well. A wireless network is as fast as the slowest connection.

i just picked up the airport extreme (i named the base tropria..lol). the clerk told me it would run n on my mac and g on the others at the same time..

btw..i didn't know i could connect a hub to it to run multiple usb items between all computers..w00t!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.