Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Forgive me in advance for the long post.
I am the proud new owner of a white MacBook (OS X 10.4 Tiger).
We have two desktop PCs, both running Windows XP.
The two PCs happily coexist on a wired home network, sharing a cable broadband internet connection w/ ethernet, and sharing files & printers.

Here is the strange thing.
My MacBook can share the broadband internet connection but cannot access the home network for file/printer sharing. Neither the PCs nor the Mac seem able to "see" each other. I can't ping the Mac from the PC or vice-versa.

I followed the directions on the well-written post from MacRumors at:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/54704/

More info:
I know the IP addresses, the computer names, networking names, and all the necessary info.

Using Directory Access on the Mac I added it to the same workgroup the PCs are on.

I have enabled Windows sharing via the Mac and have several folders openly shared already between the two PCs.

I have tried all steps over and over, and over and over, with firewalls enabled and disabled, turning the modem and router on and off, and so on.
It seems I have done everything I am "supposed" to do.

*And the strange part is that the MacBook is surfing the web just fine, and the problem doesn't appear to be hardware/router-related or related to our ISP :confused: :confused: :confused:

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Are you using a wireless connection for your Mac? Are you sure it's in the same network range as your PC's.

I.e. if your netmask is 255.255.255.0 then 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 are in different networks and can't contact each other unless you route them.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Firstly, test that the IP networking is functioning correctly. In your Utilities folder on the Mac (Under Go menu in the Finder) you'll find a little app named Network Utility. Open it up and select the Ping panel.

Now type in the network address of one of the Windows PCs, select to Send only 5 pings and hit the Ping button. After 5 pings you'll get the % packet loss. If it's 0% then the computers are talking at the IP layer so there isn't a physical problem.

Also, which method are you using to "see" the Windows PCs from the Mac? Are you expecting them to turn up in the Finder's network panel, or are you using the Go menus Connect to Server box?

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
report:
0% packet loss

I tried both ways of connecting. They do connect, the problem is they don't stay connected. the whole thing is rather erratic

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
On the PC try :-

Search for a computer when you know the name of the computer
If you know the name of the computer, you can search for the computer on the network:
1. Click Start, and then click Search.
2. Click Printers, computers, or people.
3. Click a computer on the network.
4. In the Computer name box, type the name or the IP address of the computer (Mac Book) that you want to find, and then click Search.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.