Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digiculture

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2002
Akureyri, Iceland
Hello.

I use my mac to record music and as some of you may know that takes up a lot of screen space. I would like to have a second monitor but I'm pretty low on cash so here's my question:

Are there any low cost (cheap) video cards with 8MB or 16MB memory (possibly PC versions?) that I can use. I have a Powermac G4 450 tower, (AGP graphics version) running OS 9.2.2 and OSX 10.1.3. I have the 16MB ATI Rage128 card that came with the machine and would like to add a PCI card. I've heard of using a PC to 'flash' a card to make it a MAC version, does anyone know about that?

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
2nd monitor

a while back http://www.xlr8yourmac.com had a link to a low cost ( $ 35.00) card that was discountinued. the reviews of the card were great-keep in mind this was an older card and older comparisons. anyway, i picked one up and it works great and i now have almost enough room for my tracks, plug-ins, edits and QT video to be up simultaneously. don't know if its still available but thats a good site to search. sorry i don't remember the maker of my card-it didn't come with any literature or documents...good luck.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Please follow up here if you find a good solution for this. I am interested as well. I have checked e-bay. ATI actually carries some older pci cards for about 100

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Re: Flashing...

I know that http://www.xlr8yourmac.com has many links on "flashing" graphics cards made for PC's to make them work on your Mac, which opens up a vast new avenue for card sources. Try going to a local 2nd-hand computer store, or go online at a "computer wrecker"-style place, which may be able to supply you with a very cheap PCI graphics card which would fit the bill nicely.

I recently went to one store in West London that had 2nd-hand PC PCI graphics cards for as little as £35 - and they were less than a year old!

Bear in mind though, that flashing can possibly screw up the processor on the graphics card...

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I'm not sure how flashable PC cards in general are (I know you can do it with certain Voodoo cards and certain nVidia cards, probably others as well), but I have a DP G4 800 w/ GeForce 3 (AGP) and picked up a used Rage 128 Orion (16MB) PCI on eBay for $105. It's quite popular as it's an ideal second-monitor card for the new Mac towers.

Do not get any ATI card older than a Rage 128. OS X does not support hardware acceleration on previous ATI boards under OS X (though they will work, just slowly).

blakespot

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Thank you, Blakespot... It sounds like e-bay is the best option. Does it have to be an ATI 128 card made exclusively for macs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.