Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Mar 5, 2007, 02:04 PM   #1
Simon R.
macrumors 6502

Problem: Prebindings keep being build on each boot

Usually my Mac Pro boots really fast, at around 12 seconds, but after I installed a piece of audio software yesterday, it constantly does the "prebindings" updating on each boot. It is making me crazy. I tried to completely uninstall that software, rebuild the prebindings, rebuilt the Spotlight too and repaired permissions. Still prevails, heeeeelp!
Simon R. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Richard Flynn
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon R. View Post
Usually my Mac Pro boots really fast, at around 12 seconds, but after I installed a piece of audio software yesterday, it constantly does the "prebindings" updating on each boot. It is making me crazy. I tried to completely uninstall that software, rebuild the prebindings, rebuilt the Spotlight too and repaired permissions. Still prevails, heeeeelp!
Is this ‘piece of audio software’ Audio Hijack or Soundflower (both from Rogue Amoeba)? If so, it probably installed Unsanity’s Application Enhancer (APE) which has had problems with Rosetta/prebindings (even though APE is itself a Universal Binary). In order completely to remove APE from your system (if this is what the problem is), then you should download the APE installer program from the APE website, run the installer, and choose the option to 'Uninstall'. Restart, and see if your problem continues.

You can see if APE is installed because it adds a prefpane to System Preferences. It also puts files in /Library/Frameworks, and other locations. As I found recently, even if you've removed the prefpane but not the other files, it can still cause problems with Rosetta/prebindings.

I hope this helps.
Richard Flynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Simon R.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flynn View Post
Is this ‘piece of audio software’ Audio Hijack or Soundflower (both from Rogue Amoeba)? If so, it probably installed Unsanity’s Application Enhancer (APE) which has had problems with Rosetta/prebindings (even though APE is itself a Universal Binary). In order completely to remove APE from your system (if this is what the problem is), then you should download the APE installer program from the APE website, run the installer, and choose the option to 'Uninstall'. Restart, and see if your problem continues.

You can see if APE is installed because it adds a prefpane to System Preferences. It also puts files in /Library/Frameworks, and other locations. As I found recently, even if you've removed the prefpane but not the other files, it can still cause problems with Rosetta/prebindings.

I hope this helps.
thanks for your suggestions. No, it was "KORE" by Native Instruments. And I believe I have now removed all traces of it, but still no luck.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 04:42 PM   #4
Simon R.
macrumors 6502

I found the solution, and it WAS related to "APED" - caused by an installation of Application Enhancer. I am currently trying to find out if NI software is installing this.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 01:54 PM   #5
bmcgrath
macrumors 65816

Im having the same problems with my Macbook Pro. And I have not installed or uninstalled any software recently but it started about 3 days ago. Boot up times have slowed down a bit but the main slow down is when its loading the desktop. When I check activity monitor i see prebindings there and taking up a huge amount of ram. Dunno whats causing it at all
bmcgrath is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X