Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zentox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
I am a new user to Mac. Someone told me to download fan control 1.1 to cool down my MacBook Pro better. Now I have uninstalled the program accordingly, reinstalled the operating system, resetted the SMC and now my fans do not adjust to load and temperature. They just stay at 2000 rpm no matter what I do. I want to get this back to normal.

Any help is appreciated.

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
England
yeah why did you uninstall and reinstall applications and the os?
i have fan control you need to keep it installed and use it in the pref pane accordinaly.

Zentox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
1. Installed Fan Control 1.1 because it was appealing to be able to control the fans when they get too loud.

2. Uninstalled Fan Control 1.1 because it does not function well in my opinion and does not cool system adequately when playing games and as a result there is graphic stuttering.

3. Reinstalled OS because after I installed the program, resetted the SMC, and resetted the Paramteter Ram, the fans would not function normally. Essentially my attempts at uninstalling failed because the program changed some parameters in the firmware and now I can do nothing to fix this.

4. Installed SMCFanControl so that I can manually change fan speed because the system fails to do so as a result of installing Fan Control 1.1. SMFFanControl does not remedy the situation, it just enables me to change the minimum fan speed. The fan speed still does not fluctuate according to load/temperature. It stays the same.

Lastly, I have many other reasons I don't want to use Fan Control 1.1. It runs a daemon program that adjusts the fan speed according to CPU temperature, not load or GPU. Also, if this daemon crashes then what? It's a very risky program and would rather use the original factory settings. I don't want to possibly damage my computer because of this program.

Chile Mac

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2007
Santiago, Chile
Lastly, I have many other reasons I don't want to use Fan Control 1.1. It runs a daemon program that adjusts the fan speed according to CPU temperature, not load or GPU. Also, if this daemon crashes then what? It's a very risky program and would rather use the original factory settings. I don't want to possibly damage my computer because of this program.

The CPU temperature varies depending on what you're doing with your computer and isn't controlled by the program, so don't expect to manage the CPU temperature by the program. The program only reacts how you want to do when the situation (temperatures range) requires. If the load is high, the CPU will need more efforts to do all the requirements and obviously the temperature will be higher than if you use your computer with less load.
If the daemon crashes, when you install it, the program doesn't touch the firmware (OS) configuration, so if eventually somewhat like that happens (unlikely, but always possible), your mac will take the control of the fans and will made the work like if the program never has been installed.

Zentox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
If the daemon crashes, when you install it, the program doesn't touch the firmware (OS) configuration, so if eventually somewhat like that happens (unlikely, but always possible), your mac will take the control of the fans and will made the work like if the program never has been installed.

No, when the daemon is removed my fans are at a standstill and do not increase or decrease in RPM no matter what I'm doing. In order for the program to work it has to override Apple's original fan configuration and that's where this causes a problem on deinstall. In any case, I am trying to revert to Apple's default fan configuration without the use of any programs. But all I get is the fans at 2000 RPM without any fluctuation whatsoever.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Ah, ok. I've only used smcFanControl - I like that it only adjusts the minimum fan speed, turning your fans down on purpose is pretty crazy IMHO as the system is only turning them up in the first place because it is too hot. Having not used 'Fan Control 1.1' I don't really know what to suggest :(

I would certainly email the developer. You could pay Apple a visit and claim that you have never used such software and that the unit is defective, shooting for repair under warranty - but you really shouldn't if you broke it yourself :p

Chile Mac

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2007
Santiago, Chile
In order for the program to work it has to override Apple's original fan configuration and that's where this causes a problem on deinstall.

I'm really don't sure about that. When I went to the program's website to download, I read that the software wouldn't touch the original OS configuration of fans and, also for security reasons, it would leave the configuration of minimum speed (in my case 1500 RPM) considering that I can decide uninstall it at any moment and my computer must still working after that and not get melt.
By the way, you has used the uninstall program that comes with the software or you uninstalled it by your way?

Zentox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Just wanted to provide some additional information...

When running the Apple Hardware Test, no errors were found and the fans work properly, adjusting to temperature and load as found during the memory and logic board tests. However after booting into OSX after completing the test the fans do not fluctuate like they should.

Also to the previous poster...

I believe the program affects CD and C2D models differently. Mine is a Core 2 Duo model and I believe the fan control is different thus probably causing my problem. Also, there is no uninstall program that comes with the software, you must manually deinstall it from the instructions here: http://www.lobotomo.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=others;action=display;num=1173127086

However, since I have reinstalled the operating system there can't be any traces left behind from this program forcing me to believe it modified parameters in the firmware.

Silentzio

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2008
No, when the daemon is removed my fans are at a standstill and do not increase or decrease in RPM no matter what I'm doing. In order for the program to work it has to override Apple's original fan configuration and that's where this causes a problem on deinstall. In any case, I am trying to revert to Apple's default fan configuration without the use of any programs. But all I get is the fans at 2000 RPM without any fluctuation whatsoever.

I have done nothing at all with my MBP, but my fans nevere fluctuate from 2000rps either, not even when cpu is 82C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.