Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Hello,

Can someone point me in the right direction for a solution for adding additional SATA HDDs to a PowerMac (Up and beyond the obvious two existing bays)? I remember reading here a year or two ago about a kit you could buy that would add two more drive bays to your system. I've just searched for 20 min and can't find the thread anywhere. I've got the 160GB that it came with and I've recently added a 500GB drive to the second bay.:D

I found this http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/maxconnect/ But it's expensive and you need a PCI-E card for the host adapter.

I thought that the G5 had two vacant SATA channels that weren't being used. Can anyone clarify the vacant SATA channels or point me in the direction for the third party kit?

Mucho gracias!:)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
For $99, you can get one of these cases (link for purchase here) if FW800 is sufficient for you.

Yes, it's external, but the design is similar, and it's portable.

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
For $99, you can get one of these cases (link for purchase here) if FW800 is sufficient for you.

Yes, it's external, but the design is similar, and it's portable.

Yah, those look pretty sweet but I've already got two IDE/USB 2.0 external HDDs. I'm having problems with them though and that's why I wanted to go internal.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.