Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
This is the problem:

My friend has an old titanium PowerBook G4 867 MHz. At that time, AirPort was still optional so he never got it.

Fast forward to last year, he bought the AirPort card and installed it himself. There's a small plastic tab that sticks out from the left side of the PowerBook so I guess that's the card.

Up until now, he has never ever been able to connect wireless to anything. He wants me to fix it so I bring it home with me.

The notebook won't see any wireless network at all. I can see 4 different ones including my own network with my MacBook. I'm less than 5 feet away from the router if you're wondering.

The Internet works fine by ethernet.

I suspect he might have fudged the installation of the card. Anything I can do via software or hardware? I see a little round button on the left side which I'm not sure what it is for since I don't want to press it.

Picture attachments to help the diagnostic. I connect manually since I can't see any networks. I either get an error message that says the network doesn't support the kind of encryption I selected, which it does, or I get a wrong password message.

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Picture-2.jpg
    Picture-2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 85

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
The Airport card is meant to be installed internally, not in the PCMCIA slot...seems like you don't have the aerial plugged in - that is internal too.

The little button is to eject PCMCIA cards from the slot.

Instructions are in the user manual.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
A small plastic tab is sticking out? That isn't right. I say open the Powerbook up and reinstall the Airport Card. It isn't hard to do, just lift up the keyboard like you're installing RAM and make sure the small antennae cord is plugged in.

EDIT: Hahaha, that will be hilarious if this guy stuck the airport card into the PCMCIA slot. :D

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Obviously, it's not in the PCMCIA slot. The tab is just near it is all.

How hard is it to take it apart and together? I don't want to ruin it for him.

This is that tab.

Attachments

• IMG_2545 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2545 (Medium).JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 70

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I'd check to make sure the Antenna inside is plugged in. (TiBooks are very simple to open, just watch out for the tab near the optical drive, as it can break off easily.)

Also, tuck that tab in. It might be tha someone pulled on the tab, and dislodged the AP card from its socket. Either way, I suggest you open it up.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Actually, according to the manual, I need to open up the lower case. I can't access it from the keyboard.

Dang, I don't have a Torx screwdriver.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Found the screwdriver. Turns out the antenna wasn't plugged in as you guys guessed.

However, I still can't pick up any networks or join manually.

edit: I see it now but it thinks my password is wrong even though it's the right one. What the hell?

Does the AirPort card support WPA2?

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
That must be it.

Oh well, I fixed it for him at least. But it's still going to be a problem since we're using WPA at work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.