Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 8, 2007, 03:58 AM   #1
acearchie
macrumors 68040

Simple Apple Tv Questions

Well here we go; (I know no one has actually got their mits on one but I was just wondering if anyone had read something I hadnt!)
  1. Why is there a Hard Drive? My iTunes library is definately over 40gb!
  2. What is the USB on the back for? I think on the apple site is says service and maintenace?
  3. I have a powerbook that connects to my wireless router, will I be able to access content from this on the TV?

Thanks!
acearchie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 04:04 AM   #2
synth3tik
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to synth3tik
1.) along with its own OS you have the ability to store on the HD, even though you could still stream it. I guess it would come in handy if you went over to a friends house with it.

2.) The USB is for service only, nothing we put in there, at least now will work. It would be cool though to play game with a USB game pad.

3.) You should be able to. I would think that you could set it up to run off the portable instead of another computer on the network.
synth3tik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 04:04 AM   #3
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by acearchie View Post
Well here we go; (I know no one has actually got their mits on one but I was just wondering if anyone had read something I hadnt!)
  2. What is the USB on the back for? I think on the apple site is says service and maintenace?
  3. I have a powerbook that connects to my wireless router, will I be able to access content from this on the TV?

Thanks!
Hardrive is to temporarily store movies so you can watch them. That way you dont have to be streaming content all the time. Remember if you are streaming stuff your computer needs to be on too. If its on the AppleTV HD you dont need your Mac on.

USB is most likely for what Apple says its for. It will most likely be for a future feature that Apple has in the Pipeline.

You can access AppleTV from 5 different comps at same time.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 04:09 AM   #4
acearchie
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacboobsPro View Post

You can access AppleTV from 5 different comps at same time.
Thats great if its five different comps!

Do you reckon you will have to select which comp you want to search the content of, or will it compile it all together?
acearchie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:39 AM   #5
roland.g
macrumors 603

Quote:

Thanks!
The hard drive like people said is to store you so don't have to stream or have your computer on. I imagine that in the case of those with Powerbooks or non 802.11n computers it will be easier to sync a movie to the tv hd that it will be to stream it from a 802.11g machine to the tv for live viewing. As far as the 40GB, this is something that has me a bit miffed as well. I intend like many others to have my entire DVD library on my external so that I can stream through tv, however, it seems that I will need to use the streaming from 1 of 5 functionality or sync a few movies I plan to watch. At 40GB, I will probably sync my entire iTunes library and hopefully most if not all of my photo library and leave the movies for streaming, which means I need an n enabled Mac and a new Airport Extreme router.

Quote:

Do you reckon you will have to select which comp you want to search the content of, or will it compile it all together?
You can stream from up to 5 computers that are paired, i.e. passworded to the tv, for access at any time, however, I seriously doubt we're talking about AT THE SAME TIME, and no it won't compile them. You can select which one you want to browse kind of thing.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:39 AM   #6
Krevnik
macrumors 68020

Quote:

If you go back to the Macworld Keynote (there is a podcast of it on the iTunes store for free), they demonstrate this ability on stage. I can't remember how it works off the top of my head, but the answer is there.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater