Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apattee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
i'm running a 1.67 powerbook with 1.5 gb or ram and 120 gb hard drive. it's the latest rev. anyway, whenever i have my external harddrive hooked up, everything is choppy. i have to double click a lot of stuff because it doesn't register. my mouse pointer is sort of studdering. anyway, it's hooked up by firewire if it matters.

edit: just unhooked the external and everything is still really sluggish and choppy. it's still not accepting everytime i click, causing me to click more then once because it's not registering. i replaced batteries and made sure the mouse settings were correct. i also repaired permissions and did all that stuff. any advice?

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
Could be failing harddrive and try to reset the PMU. Also update to Mac OS 10.4.9 (when released). Mac OS 10.4.9 should fix a lot of problems.

apattee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
i ran the extended test off of the osx install disk and though everything passed, when i restarted my computer everything is back to normal. thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.