Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:30 PM   #1
CaptainHat
macrumors newbie

xcode and input files

Hi,

I am trying to get a C++ tool to just read an input file and I added the file to the project, but whenever I try to open the file with

ifstream infile( "input.txt" );

it fails to open correctly. i.e., infile evaluates to false.

Ideas anyone?

thanks much.
CaptainHat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:54 PM   #2
bbarnhart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to bbarnhart
Does the filename need to be fully qualified?

"/Users/CaptainHat/Documents/input.txt"

Or, is "input.txt" in the same directory as the app?
bbarnhart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:07 PM   #3
CaptainHat
macrumors newbie

i just had "input.txt" , I copied the line from the source file into the original post.

I ended up giving the thing an explicit complete path, "/Users/.../input.txt" and this ended up working, but it's kind of annoying in any event.

Does anyone know how to set up Xcode so that if will look for input files in the same directory as the source code? This would a useful thing to know. I tried looking at the Build options in the help but this wasn't so easy to get through.

Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:28 PM   #4
bbarnhart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to bbarnhart
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHat View Post
i just had "input.txt" , I copied the line from the source file into the original post.

I ended up giving the thing an explicit complete path, "/Users/.../input.txt" and this ended up working, but it's kind of annoying in any event.

Does anyone know how to set up Xcode so that if will look for input files in the same directory as the source code? This would a useful thing to know. I tried looking at the Build options in the help but this wasn't so easy to get through.

Thanks.
"./input.txt"?
bbarnhart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:54 PM   #5
lazydog
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to lazydog
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHat View Post

Thanks.
You can set the working directory for your executable in the 'General' tab in the info window for the executable. To get this window select 'Edit Active Executable' under 'Projects' in the menu bar. Just set it to whatever you want.

b e n
lazydog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:54 AM   #6
CaptainHat
macrumors newbie

Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:23 AM   #7
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

You can also change the current working directory using C++ itself. You should use the system() command to do that. And then, give inside the command whatever you would give inside a terminal shell to change the current working directory.
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 11:26 AM   #8
wittegijt
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstorm View Post
You can also change the current working directory using C++ itself. You should use the system() command to do that. And then, give inside the command whatever you would give inside a terminal shell to change the current working directory.
Or directly using chdir (const char *filename)

Wittegijt
wittegijt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming