Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MelinCO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
I have a mac mini and yesterday a blue screen comes up every few minutes for a few seconds then goes away. I don't think I installed anything or changed configuration on anything yesterday. I did install a printer using bluetooth file exchange earlier in the week.

Any ideas on what is happening and how to make it stop? :)

Thanks,
Mel

MelinCO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Ok you guys are awesome!

For some reason it has quiet doing it. I have not done anything, so I'm not sure if the problem is gone forever or just gone for a while. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

If you have ever had this problem and know what causes it, I would love to know.:)

MelinCO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
It isn't happening again

but, it was just a blank blue screen that would pop up every few minutes for a few seconds. Very strange! I checked all my connections as I thought maybe the monitor wasn't plugged in well, but it still happened after I checked, so that didn't seem to be the problem.

I rebooted a couple of times as well (old habits from having windows for so long :)

I'll let you know if it happens again!

choboko

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
i started having this problem today... i rebooted a few times, but hopefully not enough, because the screen keeps popping... it's a blue screen like the logon blue screen, when the system is loading...

choboko

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
i think i've restarted it enough, but the screen keeps popping up... sometimes more, sometimes less... when i'm using more memory it usually appears more often... but even when i'm not using, i'm just reading in my room with it on i see that the blue screen appers... any ideia yet?

choboko

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
I'm using an iMac 20", no external display, with Tiger 10.4.9... it usually happens when i'm using more memory, like rendering 3d images... but it also happens out of nothing, when i'm not using it... sometimes happens more often, sometimes it don't...

bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach
next time it happens, go into the utilities folder and double click on "console" and see if there's anything funny in the logs during the time that they blue screen popped up there and let us know. Personally I feel like it's the external display port problem, that's the only place I can think of where the blue screen would come from.

choboko

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
"DEBUG::Tue May 22 18:26:42 BRT 2007::com.aelitis.net.upnp.impl.services.UPnPSSWANConnectionImpl::checkMappings::284:
com.aelitis.net.upnp.UPnPException: Invoke of 'urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1#AddPortMapping' fails: HTTP request failed:HTTP/1.0 500 Internal Server Error
at com.aelitis.net.upnp.impl.services.UPnPActionInvocationImpl.invoke(UPnPActionInvocationImpl.java:134)
at com.aelitis.net.upnp.impl.services.UPnPSSWANConnectionImpl.addPortMapping(UPnPSSWANConnectionImpl.java:319)
at com.aelitis.net.upnp.impl.services.UPnPSSWANConnectionImpl.checkMappings(UPnPSSWANConnectionImpl.java:280)
at com.aelitis.net.upnp.impl.services.UPnPSSWANConnectionImpl$1.perform(UPnPSSWANConnectionImpl.java:87)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.TimerEventPeriodic.perform(TimerEventPeriodic.java:94)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.TimerEvent.runSupport(TimerEvent.java:109)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.AERunnable.run(AERunnable.java:38)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.ThreadPool$threadPoolWorker$1.runSupport(ThreadPool.java:510)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.AEThread.run(AEThread.java:69)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: HTTP request failed:HTTP/1.0 500 Internal Server Error
at com.aelitis.net.upnp.impl.UPnPImpl.performSOAPRequest(UPnPImpl.java:727)
at com.aelitis.net.upnp.impl.UPnPImpl.performSOAPRequest(UPnPImpl.java:588)
at com.aelitis.net.upnp.impl.services.UPnPActionInvocationImpl.invoke(UPnPActionInvocationImpl.java:98)
... 8 more"

that's what appears, but it is only an Azureus thing... and the blue screen appears without azureus, so it can't be the problem... i really dont know about the external display port, but i'm not using an external display. But as i said i don't know if the port relates with the built-in display in the iMac...

choboko

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
any ideas?? i'm still having the problem, and now i think it has something to do with the computer staying on for a while... it generally happens when i let it on and come back after a while...

choboko

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
now everytime my display goes to sleep and after a while i come back, the mac freezes, and i have to restart it... but maybe the problem is the display itself, because i left azureus downloading some things and when i came back the computer froze, but when i restarted azureus it seemed to have downloaded all the time i was out... anyone has any clue of what is going on here??

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, let's start by ruling out Azureus. Turn the app off and drag it to the Trash. Don't empty the Trash just yet, but play 'round on the computer for a day or two and see if you still get the blue screens. :)

APatTO

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2007
Toronto
Hi Mel,

I don't think I installed anything or changed configuration on anything...

Same here, but it seems we fixed it. The latest updates (10.4.9 Security Update or Quicktime Security Update) update messed it up. The screen would just go blue without warning, then black. Hitting the keyboard would get us back to whatever we were doing.

Frustratingly enough, nothing was ever written to system logs showing what was going wrong.

After trying almost everything short of opening the thing up and disconnecting hardware, I found this:
http://www.unsanity.org/archives/mac_os_x/shock_and_awe.php

Following those suggestions, I:
1) Downloaded the latest Quicktime update
2) Downloaded the cumulative 10.4.9 update
3) Ran Disk Utility and checked the disk thoroughly
4) Re-applied both patches

It seems it's working fine now. You might want to give that a try (can't hurt, anyways).

The issue was a bit worse for us as we have an eMac with bad capacitors, so I moved the ATI drivers out of the System folder. As the latest update for 10.4.9 includes updates to the drivers, I had to put them back in place before the procedure above really worked the issue out.

Lemme know if it works for you.

Regards,

AP

choboko

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
well, i verified the disk... i didn't apply the patches yet, but something showed up in disk verification: "Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair"

about the patches, i download them from apple's website??

this log error only showed up because i had just opened azureus then... but it's not what always shows up...

APatTO

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2007
Toronto
Hi again,

about the patches, i download them from apple's website??

Yup.

I'm assuming you have a PPC mini. If it's an Intel mini, you'll have to look up the corresponding Intel updates. Just go to http://support.apple.com and type 10.4.9 in search. Or... use the links below but replace ppc.html with intel.html at the end of two of them to get to the right pages.

For PPC (I reinstalled in this order):
10.4.9 Update:http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1049comboupdateppc.html
Latest Quicktime: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/mac.html
Security update for Quicktime:http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdatequicktime716formac.html
Security update for 10.4.9:http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate2007005v11ppc.html

The 10.4.9 Security Update is a bit creepy in the sense that it rebooted our mac twice. Regardless... it seems it's working fine now.

As for the error you found, what has worked for me in such cases is:

1) Reboot your mac
2) Immediately after the startup chime press and hold command-s (single user mode)
3) Your mac will boot into a UNIX text-based environment. It tells you what to do on screen:
> /sbin/fsck -fy (something like that)
> mount <blah> /
4) After you've done those two, give it a:
> reboot

Details here ("use fsck" section):http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Hope that helps. If it works for you too odds are we nailed it. If not... well... who knows when the darn blue screen / black screen and random freezes will be back here. It's been two days and we've been OK, while before we would get it at least twice after each reboot / wake up.

Regards,

AP

choboko

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
i ran the fsck and it repaired something... i rebooted the computer and ran disk verification, and it said everything is correct... but as i'm am writing this the blue screen popped up twice... i'm using an iMac 20" by the way...

APatTO

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2007
Toronto
Hiya,

i'm using an iMac 20" by the way...

Ah, sorry about that. That ain't no mini. PPC or Intel? If you go "About this Mac" on the apple menu, it will tell you.

It doesn't make a difference though. So far, I've seen this in an eMac and heard from people with both iMacs and minis. The apple updates above are model independent (other than PPC vs Intel).

mad jew is correct: always make sure fsck runs without error and verify disk permissions (from Disk Utility) before applying any updates.

Regards,

AP

choboko

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
it's intel, i forgot to mention... well, i lost my hope... it's still on warranty, so i'll just take it to the store and they'll have to do something about it... that's a shame, it's my second problem with a mac... first my videocard just stopped working... now this... probably in the store they'll will format and reinstall the OS... and i'll have to buy apple's care, 'cause if this continues this way sooner or later i'll run out of money... i live in Brazil, so probably the complaint won't even get to apple there in the US, what's a shame... again... i just didn't take it straight to the store 'cause i have some important work here and i'll need this mac till next week... thanks for the help everyone, but i'll let them handle this now (and suffer with sudden freezings till next week)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.