Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
Bought a replacement battery for an iBook G4 from FastMac and it would never charge to a level higher than 75% (did the calibration process).
Took it in and got the retailer to swap for another FastMac battery and it wouldn't charge higher than 81% - even after 10+ hours.

Called AppleCare, they had me reset the power management module and do something with the RAM - but it looks like this isn't going to solve the problem.

Charger ring never turns from Orange to Green.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I think it's the battery, but before I ask for a replacement for the replacement of the replacement - I'd like to know if it could be the iBook. Seems unusual that two batteries in a row would fail in the same way.

Any ideas?

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
The folks at FastMac.com were fantastic online - they took lots of time asking questions and offering suggestions. We have finally come to the point where I am sending the battery back to them and they are going to replace it - after first fully testing the replacement to make sure it works.

After we get the tested replacement, we can see if this is the battery or something in the iBook.

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
The folks at FastMac.com were fantastic online - they took lots of time asking questions and offering suggestions. We have finally come to the point where I am sending the battery back to them and they are going to replace it - after first fully testing the replacement to make sure it works.

After we get the tested replacement, we can see if this is the battery or something in the iBook.

Also re-calibrate the battery.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
I hope it's that simple. AppleCare thought it could be a problem with some sort of internal thing on the iBook, but they want me to exhaust all the battery options first.

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
I hope it's that simple. AppleCare thought it could be a problem with some sort of internal thing on the iBook, but they want me to exhaust all the battery options first.

Did you also reset the PRAM(you did the PMU already)? If not, do it and see if that helps.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
Yes - the AppleCare rep had me reset the PMU and PRAM - neither one changed the battery problem - which leads us to believe it's the battery.

But the only thing that is odd is that two batteries "failed" the same way within about 5 days - it seems very unusual for two batteries to have the same problems. It could happen - a bad batch - but this is what causes me to wonder of it might not be something internal in the iBook.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
I asked for one and they are sending it - my fear is that even with a new battery, if it's a problem with the iBook, I'll be right back to square one.

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
I asked for one and they are sending it - my fear is that even with a new battery, if it's a problem with the iBook, I'll be right back to square one.

You might as well sell the iBook G4 (if you are having so many problems with the battery) and buy a refurbished MacBook. Your iBook G4 should sell for $500-$600. You could save up a couple more hundred dollars and buy the refurbished MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.