Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibelyias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
I am wanting to hook my iMac G5 (iSight) to my 42" plasma screen, courtesy of the Mini-DVI adapter. I am aware of what cable I need to get (DVI-D, if I recall correctly), I am simply concerned with the achievable resolution.

If any of you have hooked up your iMacs in this way, could you please inform me what resolutions you all have been able to achieve? My plaz can display up to 1080i.

Thanks so much!

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2006
The output on all iMac G5's is a mini-VGA... not a mini-dvi... make sure you get the mini-vga adapter not the mini-DVI... Thus, the max resolution will be somewhat less. I am not sure exactly what though.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Whoops. Sorry about that, your iSight G5 does only have mini-VGA. This doesn't change matters much, you'll just need to download this program, and make sure that you acquire a mini-VGA ---> VGA adapter.

It will plug into the "RGB" input on your TV. VGA supports up to 2048x1536 resolution, so 1080i is not even a stretch.

Just to make this easier for you, the image on the left is mini-VGA; the image on the right is mini-DVI. Don't get an adapter that looks like the one on the right.

Attachments

• 210px-MiniVGA_Connector_Pinout.svg.png
    210px-MiniVGA_Connector_Pinout.svg.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 2,536
  • 173px-MiniDVI_Connector_Pinout.svg.png
    173px-MiniDVI_Connector_Pinout.svg.png
    9 KB · Views: 2,501

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You may also need to end up using a program such as SwitchResX or DisplayConfigX -- sometimes, when you plug your computer in, you will automatically get a resolution that matches your TV exactly. Other times, you will not. These programs both allow you to add custom configurations for resolution / overscan / refresh to try to get the computer to match the TV.

For my 720P TV, I had to use SwitchResX, but I now happily have two display modes that are perfect: 1366x768 (native) and 1024x768 stretched (so that I can do a stretched screen of a 4:3 video).

The programs are not free, but at least with SwitchResX, the ability to create the new profile is free and permanent (but if you keep using other features, you must pay).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.