Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I recently purchased a Samsung 26" HDTV and am having someone set it up on Monday. My question is whether I should mount it or not. I wouldn't mind it but then I thought of all the cords hanging down from the TV (I have a LOT of peripherals) and I don't want to go drilling the walls or anything so I'm not sure. Any advice?

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Well if you decide you are going to drill into the wall, I'd say definitely mount it. But if you aren't, the chords hanging down are the worst, so I'd go with a stand of some sort to hide them.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What I'd recommend in terms of cables is that, if you do mount it, first, make sure you use the cable guides in your TV's back to minimize the distribution of the cables coming out of it. Then get corrugated tubing or some other type of wrapper, so that you can have one big conduit coming down instead of individual cables. You can even paint the conduit to match the walls, or decorate it, etc....

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Well if you decide you are going to drill into the wall, I'd say definitely mount it.
Remember to use protection. Drilling and mounting is fun, but risky. Be safe!

I recently purchased a Samsung 26" HDTV and am having someone set it up on Monday. My question is whether I should mount it or not. I wouldn't mind it but then I thought of all the cords hanging down from the TV (I have a LOT of peripherals) and I don't want to go drilling the walls or anything so I'm not sure. Any advice?
You're okay mounting it. Ask the installer to cut a small hole in the drywall and route the cables down inside and out the bottom. Make sure there is no fibreglass insulation that could block the cables.

Wall studs are spaced 16 inches apart (going by local building code, yours may be different), so you'll want to nail right on the wood to anchor the TV. Use a stud detector. :p Pretty standard stuff, I know.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Thread title :D

I wouldn't mount a 26" TV. Just a nice stand would do the job, then you can always turn it, easy access etc.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
You need to find someone of the opposite sex. Don't abuse your TV! It can't defend itself....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
You need to find someone of the opposite sex. Don't abuse your TV! It can't defend itself....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yeah, I was thinking the same but wasn't going to limit it to the opposite sex :eek:

Must be Saturday night and i am not the only one drinking!

I would go with a stand. this gives you more flexibility if you want to reorganize the layout of your room -- say move the sofa to the other side, switch the TV against the right wall or even change the room you have the TV set up in.

Mounting is fun and all but being flexible and being able to do it in a different position is also fun (and by 'do it' I mean watch TV you filthy minded individuals)

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Should I mount my new TV?
I'm afraid to ask what kind of show it is that gets you off. If it's anything to do with Glenn Beck or Bill O'Reilly then you're just a pervert.

BTW, nice avatar, iAlan. Does the hero of that show battle dyslexic terrorists?

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
bodily secretions and electricity do not mix! :eek:

w50.gif

All your peripherals go into your tv? I just have a single video cable that goes to the TV, the rest go through my receiver. Maybe just use some cable ties or similar.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Thanks for the advice everyone :D Didn't end up mounting the TV to start with but we are paining my room eventually so I might mount it after that

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
a new stand

There's a new stand out called the "One Night". I've never used one, but I hear it's a reasonable way to mount something as large as that.

Ahemmm....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.