Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parkpointer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Hi,
I'm into genealogy and researching our two families. Up until I switched from a pc to the iMac, I used Family Tree Maker 2004 thru 2006. After making the switch and getting comfortable with the changes, I began looking for genealogy software for the iMac and came up with two programs. I tried the trial downloads, but have been unable to make a decision on which to get.
My Family Tree Maker updated 2006 version is a great program, and I could do the Windows treatment to this computer, but I'd stick it out with Apple and Mac software programs.
If anyone has had experience with with either MacFamilyTree V4.4.1 and/or Reunion V9.01 I would appreciate any comments!

Grampa Joe

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
Hi,
I'm into genealogy and researching our two families. Up until I switched from a pc to the iMac, I used Family Tree Maker 2004 thru 2006. After making the switch and getting comfortable with the changes, I began looking for genealogy software for the iMac and came up with two programs. I tried the trial downloads, but have been unable to make a decision on which to get.
My Family Tree Maker updated 2006 version is a great program, and I could do the Windows treatment to this computer, but I'd stick it out with Apple and Mac software programs.
If anyone has had experience with with either MacFamilyTree V4.4.1 and/or Reunion V9.01 I would appreciate any comments!
I, too, was a FTW user since version 1.0. When I got my iMac, I discovered I couldn't use FTW anymore so I got Reunion. I'm very pleased with v. 9.0 having upgraded from 8.0 recently. My advise is to go with Reunion. It is quite user-friendly.

crarcher

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2006
I also have switched Genie programs

I recently purchased Herdis for Mac and I like it better then Family Tree maker.

Of course it took a bit to get used to navigation.

They have a free demo you can download and import your entire file into, you just can not edit or add anyone else.

Grampa Joe

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
Hi Grandpa Jo,

Could you tell me if Reunion is a collection of what you have amassed only or does it have web access for searches. My old FTM had web search capabilities to Ancestry.com and was very useful.
No, sad to say it doesn't. I bit the bullet and paid for an Ancestry subscription and also use Godfrey Memorial Library a lot. Cost for Godfrey is about $40/year. Has all the old newspapers from Heritage Quest and a lot more.
I liked the easy access to Ancestry online from FTW. I don't know of any genealogy software for the Mac that does that. On the other hand, I really love Reunion 9.0.

evands

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2001
Decatur, GA
My company, Saltatory Software, produces a newcomer to the Mac genealogy market, Family. I'm pleased with where it is now and it's very much in active development, so if you'd like to give it a shot and let us (or me directly) know what you like and what you dislike or would like to see in it, I'd be more than happy to look at requests and such directly. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.